Teeth tipping during alignment stage?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mariyu

Teeth tipping during alignment stage?

#1 Post by mariyu »

Hi I'm just curious. Is it common that the front lower teeth starts to tip inwards when it's aligning during the first few months of braces (esp if you got extractions)?
Will this be corrected eventually (i.e. by flaring the teeth out a little)? Typically at what stage of treatment? I heard it will be done with rectangle wires or bends in wires etc.?
Not sure if it's something I have to ask my doctor about especially if its just a common thing at the start of treatment.

Lovespain5

Re: Teeth tipping during alignment stage?

#2 Post by Lovespain5 »

mariyu wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:55 pm Hi I'm just curious. Is it common that the front lower teeth starts to tip inwards when it's aligning during the first few months of braces (esp if you got extractions)?
Will this be corrected eventually (i.e. by flaring the teeth out a little)? Typically at what stage of treatment? I heard it will be done with rectangle wires or bends in wires etc.?
Not sure if it's something I have to ask my doctor about especially if its just a common thing at the start of treatment.
Yes, teeth used to be tipped inwards during the gap closure stage (I was treated with 4 premolars extracted). That´s what made my ortho for me, in aim to get an ideal Class-I occlusion. And my teeth are now a little tipped inwards :gavel: Even if I did not have the choice to fully correct my protrusion :gavel: Maybe ask to your ortho to close the gaps by advancing slighlty the upper molars if you think the upper front teeth had pushed too far back.
:?:-#):mrgreen:

assertives

Re: Teeth tipping during alignment stage?

#3 Post by assertives »

I'd definitely ask your ortho about it. I don't know common this is, but I remembered a conversation I had with my ortho when I voiced my concerns/worry regarding a "punched-in" finished look that I sometimes see with post braces pictures. My ortho told me that that happens because there was no proper control of the lower teeth when retracting and closing the spaces, hence the upper teeth will end up collapsing inwards too. He said that proper control when retracting the lower teeth first will prevent that punched in look. So my guess is that it does sometimes happen, and it isn't ideal. If you don't like how it looks, best to bring it up now.