Braces have given me overbite/overjet

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

adisa

Braces have given me overbite/overjet

#1 Post by adisa »

Hi all,

I have been wearing my braces for almost two years and have realised that my lower teeth shifted way more than the upper one ( I had 4 extractions) and this caused an obvious overbite/overjet. Now I have a spring coil and will get elastics next time but was wondering if anyone had similar experiences? :? :?
Image link: https://ibb.co/kxyMVgh

Seraphina22

Re: Braces have given me overbite/overjet

#2 Post by Seraphina22 »

I experienced similar @.@ overbite and overjet getting bigger. My bottom teeth is like 95% hidden now and a 6 mm overjet. If you're 2 years in and your bite looks like that, it is kinda concerning.
Saw your post in Jan as well, and my current doctor sounds just like yours. Plus I had other concerns apart from the bite too. I'm also anxious and depressed, and losing trust. Turns out I was not overanalysing and my concerns are real, hence I've decided to switch to another doctor.
Has your current ortho told you how he would fix your problems? If you're really concerned, you can seek a second opinion from another ortho! If he/she thinks everything is fine, it will give you a peace of mind with your current ortho. and if not, you can consider switching!

adisa

#3 Post by adisa »

Thanks for sharing. My ortho tells me I will have a good bite and truth to be told, compared to how it was a few months ago, it is getting better thanks to the spring coil. But I am still not happy as I did not have an overbite/overjet to begin with... Also my extraction gaps are not closed so I feel there is potential for it to get worse. Also, my ortho is trying to push my upper teeth inwards, but I have noticed my molars are getting too much forwards, which makes things difficult. It creates unnecessary space between 1st and 2nd (non-bracketed) molars and don't know how she plans to close it.
But I do tell my ortho each time I go for a check up that I think some things do not look right. I also suggested wisdom teeth extraction, just to prevent upper teeth being pushed forward and she said it was not required. To be honest I don't think it is my job to research and come up with solutions but I ended up doing that...
I already almost fully paid off my braces so switching would be quite costly for me and at this moment impossible. I guess my best chance is to wait it out, but it is really not easy given how much worry this metal stuff has given me so far.

Seraphina22

#4 Post by Seraphina22 »

adisa wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 12:18 am
You don't necessarily have to switch!! it's just better to see someone else to hear their opinions and give you a peace of mind!

And yeah I understand the worry over braces. worrying over it have seriously made me so depressed. Sometimes I think about how i may be so carefree right now had I not started braces. But i guess since it's already done, there's no looking back. I just hope that everything will be great and I'll get my desired results in the end!! you too!