Anxiety during treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Linda1

Anxiety during treatment

#1 Post by Linda1 »

Since starting orthodontic treatment, I've had a lot of anxiety that's come from my treatment. It's been pretty involved for me in an effort to avoid jaw surgery and some of my appliances have been very uncomfortable, making it difficult to speak. I also have felt odd being an adult in treatment with braces, elastics, and appliances that are visible to others, including headgear. I have been taking one anxiety medication for a while. In February, my psychiatrist upped my dosage on that medication and started me on a new medication. I've had to go back several times to have it adjusted. The second medication didn't work well, so she put me on a new one a few weeks ago. She suggested I start going to an anxiety therapy group, so I went for the first time two weeks ago. It made me anxious to be there but helped to be able to talk about my orthodontic journey. I've told them about the headgear but still haven't worn it.

Gia

Re: Anxiety during treatment

#2 Post by Gia »

Got braces in October and within 10 days was back at the orthodontist because it triggered panic attacks s that had resolved more than 30 before. Thought I'd have to remove them. My orthodontist had been wonderful. I've been taking medication and working with cognitive therapy. Still anxious but managing it. Hang in there!