Brackets and brackets position

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Seraphina22

Brackets and brackets position

#1 Post by Seraphina22 »

In the 4th going to 5th month of braces.
My first molar on the right is becoming more and more crooked (it's kinda tipping inwards). Why?? Is it because I don't have brackets on the the molar at the furthest back?
Plus I noticed the brackets position on my lower front teeth are kinda off. one of them isn't placed in the centre of the tooth, it's a bit towards the left. and the bracket on one of the lateral incisor is much lower than the other lateral incisor, wouldn't that make them not balanced (currently one is definitely higher than the other)? And my dentist even said why isn't my lower front teeth moving much... could it be because of the positions of the brackets?
I can't quite bring this up to him because it feels like i'm questioning his skills and I'm nervous to offend him.

djspeece

Re: Brackets and brackets position

#2 Post by djspeece »

Of course you have to realize that the position of the brackets are designed for the final result, and aren't necessarily going to be centered on every tooth. The ortho places them based on his/her assessment of the forces and vectors required to move your teeth into the proper position. Perhaps at your next appointment you opened up the discussion with "Doctor, I'm obviously very new to having braces and just would like to better understand the plan and the expected outcome." I don't think that would offend anyone. Have any specific questions -- and only a few if possible -- written down in advance of the appointment. And, I wouldn't put too much stock in what the general dentist's assessment is about tooth movement. That isn't their specialty. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

assertives

Re: Brackets and brackets position

#3 Post by assertives »

I also experienced my first molar becoming crooked. Mine happened on both lower right and left 1st molars. I think it's kinda a common side effect. I don't think it's got anything to do with not having a bracket on the 2nd molar.

My ortho is now working to correct the misaligned 1st molar and then I should be done. As for the bracket position, pretty much what djspeece said. The bracket positions are not supposed to be exactly in the center of each tooth. It's placed according to the movement your ortho wants to achieve for each tooth.