Class II elastics causing gaps?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cbraces678

Class II elastics causing gaps?

#1 Post by cbraces678 »

Hi!

It’s been a while posting for me. Nothing big is happening. I’m just frustrated with the process currently.

I’m just curious if others got gaps from class II elastics? I’m currently in a thinner wire up top than I used to be (16x22 niti. It was stainless, but I had a bracket repositioned, so back to niti until it’s in alignment again). Most of my gaps were closed aside from some super minor, unnoticeable gaps. Now I wear heavy class II elastics and I have a huge gap on one side at the canine the elastic hooks on to. (No power chain either because of the repositioned bracket).
Is that relatively normal to get a gap?
I’ve been wearing the elastics for 2 weeks. Will the gap keep getting bigger, or is there a point where it will stop lol.

desertd

Re: Class II elastics causing gaps?

#2 Post by desertd »

Are you wearing power chains? I'm not to the elastic stage yet but it seems pretty common for people to be put in power chains during the elastic stage for this reason, unless your ortho is trying to open up space. Ask your ortho for sure.
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

cbraces678

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

No. No power chains right now because the one bracket that was repositioned was too far out of alignment. I was before that though. I imagine they will go back on once it’s straightened out.

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

Gaps like this? It’s not clear if the gaps formed as a result of force(s) exerted by elastics, arch-wire, or both. The elastics are on both sides in identical box configurations; similar to triangle, class II. I hope this helps!
5BA53FE4-8614-4C11-A980-8DEA17947CD9.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andy

cbraces678

#5 Post by cbraces678 »

Speck wrote: Thu May 30, 2019 6:56 pm Gaps like this? It’s not clear if the gaps formed as a result of force(s) exerted by elastics, arch-wire, or both. The elastics are on both sides in identical box configurations; similar to triangle, class II. I hope this helps!
5BA53FE4-8614-4C11-A980-8DEA17947CD9.jpeg
Yup. Mine is nearly identical. I was in box before this configuration and I didn’t get gaps, but the elastics were medium. These ones are heavy. I only have a gap on one side (so far).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jami1

#6 Post by Jami1 »

I had a gap form in lowers rather quickly after moving to class 2 heavy elastics with power chain on top. Ortho placed chain on lower and gap closed within 2 weeks. Ortho told me this is to be expected!

cbraces678

#7 Post by cbraces678 »

Jami1 wrote: Fri May 31, 2019 1:49 pm I had a gap form in lowers rather quickly after moving to class 2 heavy elastics with power chain on top. Ortho placed chain on lower and gap closed within 2 weeks. Ortho told me this is to be expected!
Ah good to hear thanks! Fingers crossed for a power chain next appointment then.