can feel root of tooth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

md1512

can feel root of tooth

#1 Post by md1512 »

Hello,

My braces are nearly ready to come off, but one of my lateral incisors has a prominent root above the tooth. My ortho has made some torquing adjuments but has said it probably wont go totally back, the bone is most likely thin around there. I've got a general dentist check up this week but just wondered how many other people have had this before? And is it likely to cause problems?

cbraces678

Re: can feel root of tooth

#2 Post by cbraces678 »

I have this as well. I have prominent roots to start with I guess, but one tooth is worse than the rest (first premolar). I recently went in to have it looked at and the ortho repositioned the bracket, so we are seeing how that goes. He seemed to think it wasn’t a big deal, but I could actually see the white of the top of the root under the gum. To me that seems like an issue lol. It’s only been a few weeks since the repositioning, so not sure how it’s going to end up yet. Keep me posted on what you find out about yours!

md1512

#3 Post by md1512 »

Thats reassuring, glad its not just me then! My ortho has tried to push it back in a bit but my brces are due to come off in a few weeks, so I'm really hoping the dentist will say its normal or ok. That tooth was quite far back initially so maybe bringing it forward it just has a large root. Let me know how you get on with yours!

cbraces678

#4 Post by cbraces678 »

md1512 wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 11:46 am Thats reassuring, glad its not just me then! My ortho has tried to push it back in a bit but my brces are due to come off in a few weeks, so I'm really hoping the dentist will say its normal or ok. That tooth was quite far back initially so maybe bringing it forward it just has a large root. Let me know how you get on with yours!
Hi! Just curious what your dentist ended up saying about the tooth root? I see my dentist for a cleaning next week and I was going to bring it up then. The ortho is still working on retorquing the tooth, but so far it’s being stubborn for sure.

mariyu

#5 Post by mariyu »

[quote=cbraces678 post_id=507664 time=1559868837 user_id=32123]
[/quote]

Hi! Just curious. Like you, my roots of the bottom front teeth are already very prominent before braces, I could see the white under my gums. Unlike you however, my bottom front teeth are quite crowded, several overlaps etc. To relieve all these crowding, my doctor said that he cannot align without extractions. Expansion may move the teeth out of the bone/thin gum tissue. what are your thoughts?
Thxs!

mariyu

#6 Post by mariyu »

@cbraces678
oh wait i just checked out your brace story thread and i think your prominent root issue seems to mean differently from what i was thinking. Yours is the teeth appears long right? In my case, it's not that. I was thinking more of how the bone is thin like OP said I think. Not quite sure how to describe 😂

cbraces678

#7 Post by cbraces678 »

mariyu wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:13 pm @cbraces678
oh wait i just checked out your brace story thread and i think your prominent root issue seems to mean differently from what i was thinking. Yours is the teeth appears long right? In my case, it's not that. I was thinking more of how the bone is thin like OP said I think. Not quite sure how to describe 😂
Hi! No mine is like the root tip sticks out further than other teeth. I can see the white under the gums like you describe. I have prominent roots too, but this one tooth sticks out a lot more than the rest (it’s a premolar). My ortho is working on retorquing it and moving the root back inwards. I had recession like you mentioned in a lower front tooth that I needed a frenectomy for. That was a separate issue I had to deal with lol. I did not have extractions. I have seen a periodontist too to confirm no extractions was the good way to go for me. Maybe getting a periodontists opinion could help?