Very new, very scared!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Hkbreaux

Very new, very scared!

#1 Post by Hkbreaux »

Hi all,
I'm a 32 yo and have been a lurker of the site for a few days now. I am planning to set up my first consultation within the next few weeks and get the ball rolling. This has been a very long time coming, but I’m just hopeful that my fear and hesitations will not continue to hold me back. Reading everyone’s stories has given me hope and courage!

Jami1

Re: Very new, very scared!

#2 Post by Jami1 »

Good Luck to you! It took me a very long time to finally take the plunge but I am so glad I did. Is it easy? NO! Do I hate the way I look in braces? YES! With that being said however, I keep my eye on the end result and know that this time in braces will go by quickly and hopefully I will have that beautiful smile I have always wanted and will no longer be self conscious about my teeth. My only real regret is not doing this years ago!!!!

gorillatoad

#3 Post by gorillatoad »

Good news, friend! Starting is the hardest part and you're doing it already.

Of all the things people post as negatives, the great majority if it ain't no big deal. The biggest part - in my opinion - is the waiting. The better you can get at the time aspect, the better it will be overall.

desertd

#4 Post by desertd »

I'm glad I did it too. After years of waffling between doing it & not doing it, I got my consult & decided to do it after discovering how off my bite really was. Now I'm excited for my teeth to look better too. But yeah I second the statement about the wait. I was lucky enough to get in for a consult the day after I called but had to wait a month until I actually got my braces on. Good luck!
Metal Damon braces on 3/27/2019 - Sentence 24-30 months - Class II overbite, crossbite. Braces removed 2/10/2022 (34.5 months), positioner since 3/2/2022. My story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54263

md1512

#5 Post by md1512 »

I am so pleased I finally did it, I spent years hating my teeth and now they are nearly ready to come off, its such a good feeling. I was super self concious at first, but you honestly do forget about them and no one cares half as much as you do. Itll be so worth it in the end!

Bracefacebride

#6 Post by Bracefacebride »

Hey there, I’m also brand new and was creeping this forum for a few days before joining. Like you I’m also apprehensive but kind of excited. I’m 33, always hated my teeth but kind of just got used to hiding them, in pictures only with closed lips, covering my mouth when I’d have to open wide to eat something in public etc etc. Most people don’t even notice that I have a gap/peg lateral because I do my best to not smile (resting b face). However, getting engaged has changed this for me after looking at many wedding photos of others and going to many wedding expos, magazines etc. I just want to be able to be confident, smile and not hide anymore.

I know I won’t have perfect teeth by my wedding, (it’s next year) but it’s the push that got me here and I’m proud of myself, and everyone on this forum that are taking the leap!!

Hkbreaux

#7 Post by Hkbreaux »

Yes! I feel like you and I share a very similar story! I've always hated my teeth and have gone out of my way to hide my smile when talking, in pictures, when laughing, you name it. I'm extremely apprehensive, too, but also excited for what's too come. If only there were a fast-forward button for this! ;)