Uneven bite after using retainers. Braces again ??

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krystal7krystal7

Uneven bite after using retainers. Braces again ??

#1 Post by krystal7krystal7 »

Hi

My braces came off two weeks ago after two years.
Everything was ok before wearing retainers.
After wearing retainers (since the first day), my bite become weird. Bite feels very off. Only right side of top & bottom teeth touches when biting down.
There is a gap between top & bottom molars on left side. It's very uncomfortable. Not just about eating but like.. my jaws feel strained.
My teeth do not rest at all in right place. When i bring my teeth together trying to get them to right place, the weight of them is on my canines resulting in an annoying headache.
I was hoping this was normal & would get better after a while. Since it is not getting any better, I tried not wearing the retainers for a day & the bite got a lot better.
Now back to retainers though because I was told to wear them 24/7.
I'm scared. Do I have to get braces again ? Anyone had similar experience ? Do I need to pay everything again if I have to get back on braces ?? I'm too broke for this :(

assertives

Re: Uneven bite after using retainers. Braces again ??

#2 Post by assertives »

What type of retainers do you have? If they are the plastic ones, perhaps consider hawleys as they do not affect the bite like an essix or the clear ones do. I'd suggest you contact your ortho and discuss your issues with him or her. Your ortho would be able to advise you what your options are.

krystal7krystal7

#3 Post by krystal7krystal7 »

assertives wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:29 am What type of retainers do you have? If they are the plastic ones, perhaps consider hawleys as they do not affect the bite like an essix or the clear ones do. I'd suggest you contact your ortho and discuss your issues with him or her. Your ortho would be able to advise you what your options are.
Clear ones.
I'm currently on a long trip, unable to see him that's why.

hereorthere

#4 Post by hereorthere »

I am in the same boat. When I first started wearing retainers, they felt extremely uncomfortable/tight, then once settled, I noticed my bite/alignment became off. I agree that you need to go back to your ortho to get advice. Mine ended up trimming more than half of my bottom retainers off, putting buttons on some of my teeth and had me wear elastic with the retainers in until my bite feels normal. My bite feels just ok now, it's not as good as right after the braces were off, and through this whole process, it created some gaps between my top and bottom teeth/arch on one side that weren't there before. It's pretty annoying, but I don't want to go back to braces. Your ortho can always try to fix it without having to put you in braces again. I don't think they would charge you a second time for braces since you are only 2 weeks into retainers and it might be an issue with the retainers, not you? You should call them asap to let them know this is happening though.