How long were you on Niti wires?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Level75

How long were you on Niti wires?

#1 Post by Level75 »

I had my braces (standard) fitted in November. I've had round NiTi wires then square and today he's moved me onto steel.

I was reading that the majority of time is spent in NiTi but is this correct? Basically I'm trying to work out how far through treatment I am. I was told 18 months total and I'm less than 6 months in.

cbraces678

Re: How long were you on Niti wires?

#2 Post by cbraces678 »

I’m 2 weeks short of being a year into a 2 year treatment plan.
On top - niti for 9 months, steel for the last 2.5 months.
Bottom - I’m still in a niti wire (rectangular 17x22... I’m guessing I’ll get steel within the next few weeks based on how it’s looking). Hopefully that helps.
I think it really is different for everyone depending on the orthodontist and the plan.

Level75

#3 Post by Level75 »

Thanks, that's helpful.

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

I had 14, 16 then 18 round niti at each of my first three adjustments. Then 18 round stainless. I had some anxiety issues with the stainless so he put back the 18 niti and now we went back to the 18 stainless this time and I'm 6 months in. It sounds like I'll be with stainless for a while as he's intruding my incisors.

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Hi, Gia! I trust treatment is going well? If you don't mind sharing: What is the method by which the ortho is intruding your incisors
-Andy

Seraphina22

#6 Post by Seraphina22 »

Gia wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 6:36 pm I had 14, 16 then 18 round niti at each of my first three adjustments. Then 18 round stainless. I had some anxiety issues with the stainless so he put back the 18 niti and now we went back to the 18 stainless this time and I'm 6 months in. It sounds like I'll be with stainless for a while as he's intruding my incisors.
I'm curious about the same as Speck! How is he intruding your incisors? is it only the wires doing the job?

Gia

#7 Post by Gia »

At this point just with bends in the wires. I don't know if he has something further planned.

Gia

#8 Post by Gia »

The 14 and 16 were 1 month each. The 18 was 2 months, although the second month was because the change to the 18 stainless made me too anxious at first. Then 3 months in stainless on top, 2 on the bottom, the to 17x21rectangular. Last month was the first with rectangular on top. The rectangular are tma, I think he called them. He went to a bigger rectangular on bottom, but had to remove it because the pressure on my crown kept popping the bracket off. He does do something to bend them a little too. He went back to 18 niti on bottom. I go back in 10 days. That same bracket came off again yesterday. I called today and he said as long as the wire doesn't cut me or no other brackets come loose I can wait till next week or even my next appointment and hell see what he's going to do. On the positive side this has been the best month in terms of the anxiety :D however the worst in terms of discomfort. It just never stopped. But, I know it's OK if it's uncomfortable so it's annoying at times, but otherwise doesn't bother me. I just take Tylenol and Advil when I need. Hope you're doing well Andy.