Getting my braces off! Mental preparations?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Heartofdarkness

Getting my braces off! Mental preparations?

#1 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Hi! I had my mold appointment today before getting my braces off next Tuesday, except my ortho assistant offered me to get it done this Friday instead. I'm so happy! Also - I'm so nervous. I'm preparing myself for that they will not be super perfect, because I have a feeling I will be overwhelmed when they show me in the mirror. What if I feel disappointed? Like, because of shock or something.

Please tell me about weird feelings you had or have before getting your braces off. :FeelSick: The ones that are more than just nervousness. Did it take you a few days to start appreciating your new teeth? Did you become a perfectionist about your teeth and found flaws after debracing? How to avoid this?

pcspinheiro

Re: Getting my braces off! Mental preparations?

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

Haha, people get so worked up for nothing... I'm sure your teeth will be great, surely better than when you began (that was the whole point, right?). But bear in mind that nothing is perfect, so if you spend too much time looking closely enough you will surely find something that's not 110%. I myself was happy to get rid of braces, but only to get rid of my former orto, even though in general my teeth were way worse, so happiness may come in many forms. I was obviously very unhappy with what she'd done to me, and some things can never be amended (extracted tooth, dead tooth, TMD), that's why I have braces again, but only to correct, as best as possible, all the previous messed up/misguided work, full well knowing that things will never be the same... So just be glad that your journey had a happy ending and that you'l probably have an awesome smile from now on.

Good luck!

Mpkh

#3 Post by Mpkh »

Oh I totally found flaws in my teeth post debracing. My top arch has a slight cant to the left and my midline isn’t in the middle. My top lateral incisors aren’t as rounded into the arch as they could be.

But I didn’t really care about any of that. They were minor flaws that probably nobody would notice. Nobody’s going to be inspecting my teeth the way I do. I wasn’t aiming for a perfect Hollywood smile—my teeth are much better post braces, and little imperfections makes my teeth look natural.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

DeSnek

#4 Post by DeSnek »

[quote=Mpkh post_id=507129 time=1553015017 user_id=29643]
Oh I totally found flaws in my teeth post debracing. My top arch has a slight cant to the left and my midline isn’t in the middle. My top lateral incisors aren’t as rounded into the arch as they could be.

But I didn’t really care about any of that. They were minor flaws that probably nobody would notice. Nobody’s going to be inspecting my teeth the way I do. I wasn’t aiming for a perfect Hollywood smile—my teeth are much better post braces, and little imperfections makes my teeth look natural.
[/quote]

This is exactly what I was thinking. It’s funny how the goalposts move over time. Right now I feel my teeth are so messed up that if they just got 80% improvement I’d be so happy. I wonder if as my teeth are corrected if I’ll wish for 100%

Heartofdarkness

#5 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Mpkh wrote: Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:03 am Oh I totally found flaws in my teeth post debracing. My top arch has a slight cant to the left and my midline isn’t in the middle. My top lateral incisors aren’t as rounded into the arch as they could be.

Yeah, I'm doing that too. I'm trying to look at them from other people's view, and I think they only see straight, quite normal teeth. I'm sure if I saw another ortho they would probably suggest like another 6-12 months because the 'flaws' are quite large ones. BUT, they are my teeth and I love them anyways! If this was how they looked prior to braces, I never would have wanted to get treatment.