Can glue on brackets become weakened?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

Can glue on brackets become weakened?

#1 Post by Fiatbraces »

Hi

I should be getting my braces off soon but still have a gap so once that is closed the brace will finally be taken off, as I’m near the end of my treatment I am constantly worried about damaging my brace and causing a delay in getting my braces taken off.

Yesterday I was kind of in a hurry and when I was brushing my teeth with my interdental brush I went to remove the brush from the area I was cleaning and it caught the wire, the force pulled on my brackets and kind of hurt, however the brackets and wire in the area I was cleaning were not damaged and the brackets are still stuck to the teeth, however I was wondering if this could have caused the glue to weaken on the brackets in the affected area causing the brackets to become loose easily in the future? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

Gia

Re: Can glue on brackets become weakened?

#2 Post by Gia »

I don't know. But in my 5 month experience with brackets coning off 8 times! They are either stuck or break off. Don't know if that helps.

Fiatbraces

#3 Post by Fiatbraces »

Gia wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 am I don't know. But in my 5 month experience with brackets coning off 8 times! They are either stuck or break off. Don't know if that helps.
Hi, thank you for your reply, I found this helpful, I am always super worried about damaging my brace, especially since I am near the end of treatment I just want to get my braces off, thanks for your help :)

Fiatbraces

#4 Post by Fiatbraces »

I feel like the more careful I am with my brace the more I seem to accidentally catch or pull on my brace with my interdental brushes, it’s so annoying, is there any alternatives to interdental brushes? Thanks

pcspinheiro

#5 Post by pcspinheiro »

Try a waterjet. Started using one on my first round of braces, as I found flossing and using the small brushes too time consuming, and never stopper using it every day.

Fiatbraces

#6 Post by Fiatbraces »

pcspinheiro wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 pm Try a waterjet. Started using one on my first round of braces, as I found flossing and using the small brushes too time consuming, and never stopper using it every day.
Hi thanks for your reply, I have a water flosser but hardly use it, but think I will try to use this as an alternative to using interdental brushes. As I a previous mentioned earlier on in the thread I am concerned that the glue on my brackets could become weakened and cause my brackets to de bond easily in the future due to the interdental brush pulling on my brace when I brush so hopefully water-flossing should help me prevent any damage to my brace. Thanks again for your help!

StanleyRoark

#7 Post by StanleyRoark »

When I put on the braces, I was recommended one. Even without braces, I love this now. It was amazing and shocking while seeing something in my teeth, but after flossing, water pik water flosser and my electric toothbrush, my mouth feels fresh and clean. I have the cheapest version, but it works for me. But for those with exposed nerves, I think you'd better not use a waterjet, it does really hurt.

StanleyRoark

#8 Post by StanleyRoark »

I was recommended by my aunt to use flossing. She has been a hygienist for 10 years. It tells me that I don't have to waste money going to the dentist to clean my teeth. The leeches put air and moisture under the tissues and kill the bacteria that cause periodontal disease. It does occupy a lot of counter space in my bathroom, but everyone in the family likes to use it.https://www.cuou.net/water-flosser.html

DeSnek

#9 Post by DeSnek »

Related to this topic, I’m curious if a bracket pops off how urgent it is to get it reatttached. Is it something you need to get done right away, or can you wait a few weeks until your next adjustment?

Gia

#10 Post by Gia »

Funny, just commented on this in another post. I call and my orthodontist prefers to do it quickly, usually in a day or two. Around the holidays I had a loose bracket and was going out of town. They did a quick fix to keep the wire from moving and I went in when I got back. You should call and ask if you have questions.

assertives

#11 Post by assertives »

I usually go back and get it reguled in a couple of days or within the week. Depending on which bracket is loose, it could potentially stall your progress if you wait for several weeks until your next appointment to get it sorted out.