Ugh. Help. Is this a normal part of the process? Just about ready to quit treatment.

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cbraces678

Ugh. Help. Is this a normal part of the process? Just about ready to quit treatment.

#1 Post by cbraces678 »

So, I’ve noticed that it looks like part of the tooth root on one of my premolars is visible under the gum. This premolar was really rotated a few months ago, so I’m not sure if that has something to do with it. I assume it’s not fully in the bone which is why it’s visible. Is this a normal part of the tooth movement process/has anyone had a similar occurance?

I did notice the root a little while back, but now I’m getting concerned I guess. I do have genetically thin gums and “big tooth” roots I’ve been told. Sorry for the not so pleasant photo.... it actually does look a touch whiter at the top in real life.
DD1154F8-19CA-4DEF-B0F6-AD5E99B68AA0.jpeg

I’m about to take the braces off if this isn’t normal. I understand the benefits of correcting malocclusion, but I already had to have surgery (frenectomy and gum graft) because of my tooth movement. I still have to go back for more gum grafts AFTER the braces come off. This is all something that was not an issue before braces. Now if something is going on with this tooth, I’m about to call it a day. I can’t keep sacrificing the health of my gums and running into issues that require extreme measures like surgery just to correct my teeth.

I have seen a periodontist and my orthodontist numerous times in the last 2 months and neither one brought it up... however, the ortho isn’t looking that far up there and I didn’t really notice it until after my perio consult, so I haven’t brought it up specifically. I suppose I could ask the ortho for my pre-braces photos to see how much it’s all changed.

Sorry for the rant. I’m getting really tired of finding things that don’t seem normal. I’m really over it all. Any words of experience or advice would be super helpful. I’m feeling very defeated and mentally exhausted from worrying.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Ugh. Help. Is this a normal part of the process? Just about ready to quit treatment.

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

The good news is that neither your perio nor your ortho have mentioned it, and they've been "up close and personal" very recently, and even if you think the ortho isn't looking that far up, I'd assume the perio is since that's all part of the gum tissue, which is their balliwick. However, just to be safe, I'd call one or the other (or both) and let them know what you're observing. Maybe send the photo as well for a quicker, initial assessment before deciding whether an appointment is needed. You're on it, so just let them know and don't worry until you detect that they're concerned! :thumbsup: Even if it's a concern for them, I'd assume it's reversible....and you noticed it quickly. Good luck.

cbraces678

Re: Ugh. Help. Is this a normal part of the process? Just about ready to quit treatment.

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

SinkFullOfDinner wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 8:40 am The good news is that neither your perio nor your ortho have mentioned it, and they've been "up close and personal" very recently, and even if you think the ortho isn't looking that far up, I'd assume the perio is since that's all part of the gum tissue, which is their balliwick.
Thanks for your reply. That is a very good point. I'm sure the periodontist would have been evaluating all that area too. She did say I had some prominent roots that I need to keep an eye on, but she didn't mention anything specifically, or seem like there was an immediate concern. I can't get in touch with anyone over the weekend, but I will make a call on Monday and see if I can send my picture.

I do notice that at my adjustment on Monday they didn't put any ligature ties on my premolars (both sides). Maybe that will allow this tooth to move back into the bone slightly into a more natural position since there is reduced friction/pressure on it. That could just be wishful thinking and me trying to rationalize what's happening, but I will go with it for now.

Thanks again for replying. I appreciate it.

cbraces678

#4 Post by cbraces678 »

Updating in case others have a similar issue.

It was getting worse and actually started bugging me, so I went in. The bracket was repositioned and I was put back in a 16x22 niti wire to let it straighten back out. I go back in a month for my next adjustment. They weren’t overly concerned about it though like I was. He said it’s not that bad and an easy fix. I’m glad it wasn’t a huge deal! I’m glad I brought it up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.