First day of expander and splint

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

auroraborealis

First day of expander and splint

#1 Post by auroraborealis »

hey guys this is my first ever AW post but not my first ever braces! I am 41 and have just been fitted with my upper arch expander and lower arch splint. I have to say I am so surprised with how full my mouth is feeling and about how much of a lisp I have. I am a nurse and worry about sounding stupid!! The lower splint is removable however my dentist wants me to TRY and keep it in for eating but its just impossible. I would appreciate some support from older adults like me who have had this treatment and some encouragement. My top arch is basically too narrow so its being widened to help my smile look fuller. I have just been through 5 months of wearing bands to correct my cross bite before this treatment began. Also would like to know how best to clean this arch expander as it has a plastic plate in the palate which enjoys gathering all of my food :-o

wendydong

Re: First day of expander and splint

#2 Post by wendydong »

i have been told that adult arch cannot be expanded? how are you expanding your arch? do you have a link to the expander that you are wearing?

auroraborealis

#3 Post by auroraborealis »

It sure can Wendy. I will ask the dentist what it is. He is in the UK but has input from a US orthodontist who advises him. Why would an adult arch not be able to be expanded? Bone regrows when you break a bone its the same deal.

auroraborealis

#4 Post by auroraborealis »

I believe I have an appliance like this :
https://www.robinatowndental.com/jaw-ex ... ut-surgery

Bryce24

#5 Post by Bryce24 »

Let us know how it goes. There has been a mixed response on palate expansion in adults. They're going to try an expander in my case also