Tmj

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceblues

Tmj

#1 Post by Braceblues »

I am 8 months out now. I some how managed to get this far with the braces but now the tmj is flared up bad again. I just had my second square wire change on the top and the bottom had a chain and spring but was taken off and now trying to turn my last crooked tooth. My bite is still off and I have blue build ups. My tmj is flared up bad now. I was wondering if it comes on at different times in treatment for others too. Right now I just want to yank them out. I want my teeth straight and a better bite but I am discouraged right now. Anyone else going through this with tmj and have it flare up at different times? Anyone else stick it out and have it improve as the bite is fixed more? I need some hope that this will all be worth it in the end.

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Tmj

#2 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Braceblues wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pmI was wondering if it comes on at different times in treatment for others too.
Yes, I've found it fluctuates, and I don't think that's unusual if you're already prone to issues with your TM joint. And it seems to trigger for seemingly no reason, right? I think your biggest clue is this comment...
Braceblues wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pmMy bite is still off...
Unfortunately, I assume that's the biggest contributor to your "on again, off again." As your bite is being moved around, sometimes it temporarily helps and other times it temporarily aggravates the situation until it eventually gets to where it's supposed to be. I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I heard from other contributors that it worked out for them, so I keep that in mind when the joint decides to make things especially miserable for awhile. I don't know if a "typical progression" even exists, but I'm assuming at this point it's not the same as just watching a tooth gradually rotate every single month, and consistent relief might not show up until closer to the end, and then all of the sudden things are good, but along the way there will be a lot of unpredictable periods when it feels like making no progress.

Have a chat with your ortho, if needed. I expect that he/she will say that what you're experiencing is, unfortunately, not that unusual. Hang in there!

Steph30

Re: Tmj

#3 Post by Steph30 »

Braceblues wrote: Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:52 pm I am 8 months out now. I some how managed to get this far with the braces but now the tmj is flared up bad again. I just had my second square wire change on the top and the bottom had a chain and spring but was taken off and now trying to turn my last crooked tooth. My bite is still off and I have blue build ups. My tmj is flared up bad now. I was wondering if it comes on at different times in treatment for others too. Right now I just want to yank them out. I want my teeth straight and a better bite but I am discouraged right now. Anyone else going through this with tmj and have it flare up at different times? Anyone else stick it out and have it improve as the bite is fixed more? I need some hope that this will all be worth it in the end.
I found the first year of my braces the worst .. I guess because the ligaments loosen completely up ..? My jaw was constantly snapping shut on its own and veering off to one side.. I couldn't even sit through a dental cleaning without almost chomping the techs fingers.. It did get better, however im still having to support my jaw during cleanings and adjustments.... otherwise it tends to want to pop out....

Just hang in there.. in my case it did get a lot better.. and hopefully yours will too!