Permanent retainer a necessity?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

karatz22

Permanent retainer a necessity?

#1 Post by karatz22 »

Hello all, I have a question about retainers post-debracing. My braces were put on January 2017, and I had the Lefort 1 surgery May 2018. Over the past few appointments I've been told I'm nearing the end, and at my appointment yesterday my orthodontist said I have one more appointment of minor adjustments, then the braces will be removed at the following one. When I asked the doctor if I'd be getting a permanent retainer, he said no, just Invisalign-style retainers for upper and lower teeth to wear every night.

My cousin had braces recently as well, with the same orthodontist, and she had a permanent retainer placed on her teeth but was also given a retainer to wear at night. When I told my cousin, she insisted I demand a permanent retainer. She is not a doctor and I'd obviously take the doctor's advice over hers, but I am curious if that is something I really should ask for. Is a permanent retainer better than a nightly one?

assertives

Re: Permanent retainer a necessity?

#2 Post by assertives »

The ortho recommends the different types of retainers based on your individual case. So perhaps he doesn't think you need a permanent one on top of the clear ones. There are pros n cons for a permanent retainers. If your teeth are very prone to relapse/moving, maybe it'll be a good idea to get a permanent one.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for one for myself because I really like to floss and flossing is challenging with a permanent retainer. Plus I do have quite bad black triangles between my bottom front teeth which would probably make the permanent retainers visible from the front.

I guess you can bring it up to your ortho if you really want one, and see what he or she says.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

I would have happily done without the permanent retainer! My ortho seems to use them behind the bottom incisors as a matter of course, but they are a pain to floss around/under, and as long as you wear your Essix as directed, I really don't see the point. I haven't gotten a dental cleaning since I got debraced, but I have a feeling that the permanent retainer will make it a little more difficult for the dental tech as well. And you have to be careful what you bite into -- nothing too hard. I think I bent mine just a bit biting into a really hard piece of bread, though it is still attached. Something definitely felt different, though.

So...I would follow your orthodontist's protocol. But I would also ask why you aren't getting a permanent retainer, just out of curiosity.

Nozzelnut

#4 Post by Nozzelnut »

Permanent retainers can help hold teeth; but are typically just the lower front 6 or 8. While not a requirement; they help especially f you had crowding. Keeping the lowers in place will also help keep the uppers in place. Retainers are for life; unless you want to get braces again.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

jem

#5 Post by jem »

My permanent retainer has broken after 5 1/2 years. I am getting my dentist to remove it and will rely in future on the hawley which I still wear every night. Can't wait to feel the back of my front teeth again
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194