Shadow on x-ray but no pain?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelCatMei

Shadow on x-ray but no pain?

#1 Post by AngelCatMei »

Hi,

I went for a regular check-up and took a full x-ray. Dentist say everything seems good. Gum is healthy too.

However, he say he could see some shadow on my left lower first molar (the one that I doodle on). He did a cold test and tapping test on it. All was fine. I could feel the coldness but it is the normal kind of reaction that a tooth have toward coldness. It does not linger as well. He told me that it could be nothing as well since I am not having pain. If I am having pain then it will be an infected tooth.

Could it be that I have lesser bone there? Please kindly advise if you think it was an infected tooth. Thank you!

X-ray link: http://imgur.com/HmkxWFG

djspeece

Re: Shadow on x-ray but no pain?

#2 Post by djspeece »

I'm an RN and not a radiologist, but it seems to me you have an area of greater density, which causes a darker area ("shadow") on an X-Ray. An area of less calcium would probably appear lighter on an X-Ray. Pure speculation, it could just be some sort of calcification (area of extra calcium, which makes teeth (and bones) hard, or possibly a bit of glue on the outside of the tooth that your dentist overlooked at examination (presumably from applying brackets.) I would go with your dentist's opinion about infection. If there was an issue with the root or nerve you would probably be very sensitive to cold. Sometimes the more we look and more tests are conducted minor, normal variations are discovered. I'd recommend you go back in a few months and have a repeat X-Ray of that tooth. Of course pain or increased sensitivity to cold would be reasons to go to your dentist immediately for an examination. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

AngelCatMei

#3 Post by AngelCatMei »

djspeece wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:06 am I'm an RN and not a radiologist, but it seems to me you have an area of greater density, which causes a darker area ("shadow") on an X-Ray. An area of less calcium would probably appear lighter on an X-Ray. Pure speculation, it could just be some sort of calcification (area of extra calcium, which makes teeth (and bones) hard, or possibly a bit of glue on the outside of the tooth that your dentist overlooked at examination (presumably from applying brackets.) I would go with your dentist's opinion about infection. If there was an issue with the root or nerve you would probably be very sensitive to cold. Sometimes the more we look and more tests are conducted minor, normal variations are discovered. I'd recommend you go back in a few months and have a repeat X-Ray of that tooth. Of course pain or increased sensitivity to cold would be reasons to go to your dentist immediately for an examination. Best of luck to you.
I am going back for braces review in a month. Will definitely take another x-ray once all the brackets are out. Thank you so much for reply! My tooth has always been sensitive to cold and too sugary food, like locker biscuits that will stick to your teeth.

Is it possible to have an infected tooth even though my tooth doesn't have any trauma or decay?

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

AngelCatMei wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:57 am
Is it possible to have an infected tooth even though my tooth doesn't have any trauma or decay?
Yes. A non-vital (dead) tooth can be infected. A dead tooth can be caused by trauma and also braces, but non-vital teeth due to braces is quite uncommon.