Small gap between two front lower teeth not closing

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HoneyBee245

Small gap between two front lower teeth not closing

#1 Post by HoneyBee245 »

I have had a gap in my lower two teeth for maybe like 3 months now, and it has closed a little but there is still a small noticeable space. I can’t fit my tongue in it anymore so that’s good but it’s still not closing! It’s really concerning/irritating because it is such a small one. I asked my ortho he said gaps are made all the time when moving teeth. I just started trying to wear my elastics more but still nothing. Why is this small gap taking so long to close?

Prometheus

Re: Small gap between two front lower teeth not closing

#2 Post by Prometheus »

Your ortho is probably not actively trying to close the gap at the moment. As they move teeth around they need some space. Typically the small gaps are closed up with power chains towards the end of the treatment. I did not have my gaps closed until 2.5 years into a 3 year treatment. Usually once they start actively trying to close them it doesn't take long.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

HoneyBee245

#3 Post by HoneyBee245 »

Prometheus wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:41 am Your ortho is probably not actively trying to close the gap at the moment. As they move teeth around they need some space. Typically the small gaps are closed up with power chains towards the end of the treatment. I did not have my gaps closed until 2.5 years into a 3 year treatment. Usually once they start actively trying to close them it doesn't take long.
I actually have powerchains on which makes it even more frustrating.

Prometheus

#4 Post by Prometheus »

Now I understand your frustration. Once I got power chains my small gaps closed up in 2 months. I have seen some others on the board that have had some rather stubborn teeth, usually they got them into place but it was slow going. Overall my estimated 24 month treatment turned into 36.5 months, so I do get your frustration, my problems were slow moving molars. Here is hoping for the best!
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.