Not comfortable wearing elastics (jaw surgery process)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HoneyBee245

Not comfortable wearing elastics (jaw surgery process)

#1 Post by HoneyBee245 »

My orthodontist finally made a mold but hasn’t looked at it and told me if it fit yet :roll: He said he wanted to close up a small gap in my bottoms row two front teeth. He said once that is closed and he removes my turbo blocks if the bite fits he’ll give me an okay for surgery. I’ve had this bottom gap for maybe two months now, and it’s very small but doesn’t seem to be closing. I was directed to wear elastics, but I honestly don’t feel comfortable wearing them so I stopped. I don’t feel comfortable because they’re innerarch elastics to correct an overbite and I have an underbite. They said they use them to get the teeth in the position they need to go. Although I stopped wearing them and the orthodontist didn’t notice. I don’t feel comfortable it’s obviously making my bite worse, and it’s alrady gotten bad from braces alone. My question is should I wear them to close this gap quicker will it do the trick?

pamelah0109

Re: Not comfortable wearing elastics (jaw surgery process)

#2 Post by pamelah0109 »

What I've realized is the only control I have over my treatment is to wear my elastics. I've also learned that your bite will get worse before it gets better and it all comes together in the end. I would discuss with the ortho how you are feeling about the elastics and maybe he can help you feel more comfotable with the treatment and what his intentions are with the elastics. Good luck.