Damon braces first few days

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

NPmetalmouth

Damon braces first few days

#1 Post by NPmetalmouth »

Hi everyone. I’ll be 22 and a first time metal mouth in two weeks. I’m a RN and an scheduled for work the day after getting my braces put on. I’ll have Damon braces. Anyone know if you can still talk okay or does anyone think I should take the following day off. Thanks so much :)

nybizzle

Re: Damon braces first few days

#2 Post by nybizzle »

Talking may be hard for the first few days, just your mouth getting used to something new in there. That said, it may be helpful if you took the next day off. :D

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Personally when I first got braces back in my younger days I went in and got braces, went into work that very same day hours later to work. I was a department manager for home depot and in charge of the paint department so I was always talking to customers and the employees. Yes my speech was slightly affected by the braces but I didn't sweat it one bit. It's your choice if you think you need the time off work then take it off otherwise just go into work being proud of those braces :)

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

I got braces on a Friday, had the weekend off and was back to work on Monday (I’m also an RN!). While there were definitely challenges with speaking, it wasn’t too bad for me. Beside, by the end of that first shift, my lisp solved itself!
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Navygrrl

#5 Post by Navygrrl »

I didn't really have any problems. I got my braces on Tuesday, and I had a dental cleaning the next day. The receptionist said she couldn't tell I had braces because I was speaking normally. I've found that my experience has been less painful and uncomfortable than most, though. I haven't had to use wax at all, and only really notice discomfort when I accidentally knock something against my teeth.

assertives

#6 Post by assertives »

I got braces on the day I was at work. I literally just took time off in the morning to get them on and then went back to work right after. I didn't notice any speech impediment though, only a slight headache closer to the end of the day.

I guess if you wanted to take the day off after getting braced, why not. :D

NPmetalmouth

#7 Post by NPmetalmouth »

Update: I took the day off. Later in the evening one of my brackets popped (he may have put it on a tooth that was maybe technically too far back and wasnt ready for a bracket). I had an meltdown and called off of work. Hopefully I can get into the office Monday and get this fixed so I can go back to work Tuesday.

jamierm

#8 Post by jamierm »

Just wondering if you went with the damon clear braces, or the damon traditional metal braces - and what your reasoning was?

Thanks!

pcspinheiro

#9 Post by pcspinheiro »

Same here; just went about my normal life.

NPmetalmouth

#10 Post by NPmetalmouth »

[quote=jamierm post_id=506969 time=1551820202 user_id=32659]
Just wondering if you went with the damon clear braces, or the damon traditional metal braces - and what your reasoning was?

Thanks!
[/quote]

I went with damon traditional. I heard clear stains and just wanted to embrace having braces.