Molar Rotation

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SDFD TSchott

Molar Rotation

#1 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Merry Christmas Y'All
I hate when I'm at the Orthodontist office and they ask if I have any questions and I can't think of any but when I leave and a few days later I come up with the questions. Anyways the Orthodontist put on a bracket to my last molar on the right side and I advised them they can't pull it forward as I have bone loss and that would likely kill that molar. She said, "Were just rotating the molar to come in alignment with your bite." What do you think they will do to rotate the molar.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008

Delilahbear

Re: Molar Rotation

#2 Post by Delilahbear »

I have a premolar and the tooth next to it that have tilted so that they are almost laying on their side. I too had bone loss and the orthodontist would not even touch my teeth until I went and had a consult with the periodontist. I ended up having my wire and brackets on the top, brackets only on the bottom then went back to periodontist who opened up the gum tissue on both sides of 3 teeth and making cuts between the teeth and adding a bone graft to the mandible to help with the bone loss and hopefully allow the teeth to once again come in line with the rest of my teeth.

Are they trying to close the gap in your teeth as it doesn't really look like the molar is that much out of alignment to me but them I am not an orthodontist. It probably needs just a bit of adjustment that will not interfere with your bone or they would not have put it on. Doesn't look entirely comfortable. I hope you don't have to go through what I did do to bone loss.

SDFD TSchott

#3 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Its tilted inwards and they are trying to tilt it back a little.

Horrible example: currently tilted inwards \ they are trying to straighten it upright |

I will eventually get a bone graft and implant for that space there but finances wont allow it atm.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

If it's only a slight rotation, the wire can rotate the tooth into alignment without any additional appliances. That's what I've experienced in my case as well. I have been in class 2 elastics for 4 months now and the elastics have caused my 2nd molar to rotate out due to the force. Once I stopped the elastics, my tooth got "guided" back into alignment by the wire.

SDFD TSchott

#5 Post by SDFD TSchott »

Gotcha they didnt really go to much over my case so I'm trying to plan accordingly if I need elastics if I'll need extra hardware etc. Hoping 2019 ill be able to afford the implant or implants they havent said if they are keeping the extraction site upper open for implant or closing it