NEW member (in PAIN)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Whittyitty

NEW member (in PAIN)

#1 Post by Whittyitty »

Back story & about me
26 yr old female. First time with traditional metal braces.
No prior ortho work, although I’ve had all 4 molars removed and an upper tooth that was shifted toward middle of roof.
I went in for braces (top & bottom) this past Monday. I also had 1 lower tooth removed (the tooth closet to my molars ? Not sure specific name of tooth) but she recommended that to align bottom crowding and bite.
Anyways, I’m in so much pain! My whole mouth aches, I can’t tell if my extraction is source of pain or just my gums and braces them selves. But I’m hurting and literally want the braces off already, not to mention I’m catching some virus so my throat KILLS.
Ugh help , I don’t know, any support.

Whittyitty

Re: NEW member (in PAIN)

#2 Post by Whittyitty »

Also, the two extracted teeth are on my left side , same tooth top and bottom. But none removed on my right side. Is this going to look weird when I’m finished??
I also have a cross bite forget to mention.

Whittyitty

#3 Post by Whittyitty »

Will post photos as well when I’m able & approved to do so

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

I can't say it's great after. I'm 2 months in and still have issues and discomfort randomly (not pain at all), eating g is a pain 😁 and I've had anxiety issues because of the constant tight feeling. I think a couple days in most feel "what did I do? I want these off" with all of this I'm doing all I can to continue and have no regrets. It will be okay and this is a great place to get advice and support. And buy stock in Advil!

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

General pain and ache in the mouth is normal. Your teeth are moving. Things will get better as you get used to the braces, but there will be some appointments where the adjustments hurt badly. I've encountered some myself. It will hurt badly to even floss and brush my teeth let alone eat. Hang in there, it will get better.

Meowmeowbeans2

#6 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I was braced Tuesday and am in the same boat! I’m taking an Advil to help me sleep but just deal with the discomfort during the day.

I’m not chewing at all yet, just swallowing soup, scrambled eggs, and yogurt. My two crossbite teeth are killing me to the point that I can’t put my electric toothbrush on them and use a manual to gently clean. I assume it’s because they’re the most out of line and are being pulled the most intensely.

My crossbite canine also kept banging into the lower one so I got some added bite turbo material in my molar to keep the teeth apart today. I hope I’m not already on some “high maintence patient” list for coming back in after only two days 😂

I’m holding out hope I can chew by Christmas for a beef tenderloin... cut in very small pieces!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116

djspeece

#7 Post by djspeece »

I was and am a big fan of ibuprofen for dental pain - much more effective than aspirin or Tylenol as it targets specific pain chemical intermediaries for dental and orthopedic pain. Take as directed on the label and you'll be fine. No need to suffer. And, best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Speck

#8 Post by Speck »

Welcome to the board @Whittyitty and best of luck to you on the ortho treatment road!

Pain due to ortho treatment is definitely sucky as its persistent, achey nature kinda tends to wear one down; I woke up around 0300 today and lay awake for a long time because of it. Oh well, could be worse. Aw, shucks, just looked outside and it is raining. :lol:

https://youtu.be/9AFf0ysgNiM
-Andy

kplatt2010

#9 Post by kplatt2010 »

I second Dan's suggestion for taking the Tylenol. You can also alternate with Motrin. When I worked labor and delivery that is how we would medicate our postpartum patients. Just be careful with the Tylenol especially if you're feeling as though you're coming down with a cold and taking cold meds too. A lot of cold meds have Tylenol(generic name acetaminophen) or sometimes even Motrin in them (ibuprofen generic name). Here's a document on dosing:
https://www.brown.edu/campus-life/healt ... r%2017.pdf

Also there's two types of pain with braces. There is pain from teeth shifting and then there's pain from the brackets pressing into your buccal cheeks. For the brackets abrading your cheek try applying wax and adjusting pillow so that it's not pressing directly on your cheek.

It will get better I promise. I'm almost 3 years in and get freaked out now if I don't feel something LOL.

Welcome to our special club :D

hereorthere

#10 Post by hereorthere »

yes, second taking some advils. i remember my worst pain was from my pre-molar extractions because the dentist completely tore open one side of my gum. i was in so much pain i actually calculated the max amount of advils i could safely take and took them around the clock...

assertives

#11 Post by assertives »

Ibuprofen actually worked like a charm for me when I had any sort of dental pain. I remember taking one just to be able to brush my teeth after a particular adjustment that was so painful that my entire face ached. Another thing you could also try is eating ice cream. It helps a little.

Heartofdarkness

#12 Post by Heartofdarkness »

Hope you're starting to feel better. :) Remember to try to relax your jaw and facial muscles as they will tighten up when your mouth hurts and also because you start to chew differently and use different muscles!

Whittyitty

#13 Post by Whittyitty »

Thanks everyone! Day 6 and feeling quite a bit better

Meowmeowbeans2

#14 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I can chew things on my back two teeth now... still defaulting to cutting into small bites and sticking them back there!

At tonight’s dinner, I put a lettuce leaf with a thick stem in my mouth, bit down, and thought “nope”!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116