bed time elastics

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

bed time elastics

#1 Post by Fiatbraces » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:08 am

Hello

I wear an elastic at night before bed and It’s uncomfortable, I have been wearing it for 1 month now without skipping wearing it, so I am wondering if I was to leave the elastic off for around 1 week as I would rather like to enjoy Christmas and have a break from the elastic as it’s uncomfortable would this effect my treatment and would my orthodontist know I skipped wearing my elastic for a week, any advice would be highly appreciated. Thank you

AndAndAnd

Re: bed time elastics

#2 Post by AndAndAnd » Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am

He he, normally people don’t want to wear them during the day because they are visible, but don’t mind wearing them at night!

How are they uncomfortable?

Personally I would persevere. You’ll risk puttting yourself back by one week, and possibly more if your teeth shift back a bit. You may also suffer from the initial aches of wearing them again once you put them back on after a week off.

Elastics are great. It’s the one thing you get quick visible results from. I’d keep them in if I were you.

Mpkh

#3 Post by Mpkh » Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm

I wouldn’t suggest you to skip a week, simply because it may delay your treatment time by a bit. The elastics at night can be more painful than around the clock wear, because the force isn’t on your teeth consistently, so it’s almost like you’re starting over each time you put it in.

What worked for me is setting 6 hours as the absolute minimum wear time at night—my orthodontist said to aim for 6-8 hours a night on the elastics, and so far this has worked for me.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

Fiatbraces

#4 Post by Fiatbraces » Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:09 pm

Thanks for both of your replies, really appreciate them, the pain is an ache every morning when I wake up, I’m going to continue wearing them for 6 hours a night, thanks again guys
Mpkh wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:15 pm
I wouldn’t suggest you to skip a week, simply because it may delay your treatment time by a bit. The elastics at night can be more painful than around the clock wear, because the force isn’t on your teeth consistently, so it’s almost like you’re starting over each time you put it in.

What worked for me is setting 6 hours as the absolute minimum wear time at night—my orthodontist said to aim for 6-8 hours a night on the elastics, and so far this has worked for me.
AndAndAnd wrote:
Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:28 am
He he, normally people don’t want to wear them during the day because they are visible, but don’t mind wearing them at night!

How are they uncomfortable?

Personally I would persevere. You’ll risk puttting yourself back by one week, and possibly more if your teeth shift back a bit. You may also suffer from the initial aches of wearing them again once you put them back on after a week off.

Elastics are great. It’s the one thing you get quick visible results from. I’d keep them in if I were you.

assertives

#5 Post by assertives » Wed Dec 19, 2018 6:07 pm

I wouldn't suggest skipping a week too. Relapse is a real issue, then you'll have to start all over again. My bite on the right side relapsed even when I was still in elastics. I was told to change from full time wear to nighttime only wear. Now I'm back to full time wear. :gavel: