Sleeping on your side...

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

OHbraces

Sleeping on your side...

#1 Post by OHbraces »

Does anyone have any tips or tricks, other than lots of wax, to prevent elastic hooks and brackets from gouging your cheeks while sleeping on your side? Lower hooks especially causing issues when laying on a pillow...

Heartofdarkness

Re: Sleeping on your side...

#2 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I read here a while ago (I think) that if you're really hydrated your cheeks will not get as stuck in the braces. Sounds logical!

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

I don't have any tips, but I personally started out with covering all my back brackets and some of the ones with hooks with the wax every night before going to bed. It was a part of my bedtime routine and I would stock up on wax (buying them online and each time I see my ortho). As my cheeks started to get used to having the brackets, I slowly start "weaning" off needing them for bedtime.

Now I don't need them anymore, but would from time to time still wake up with indentations all over my cheeks, but they no longer cut my cheeks up.

AndAndAnd

#4 Post by AndAndAnd »

assertives wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:04 pm I personally started out with covering all my back brackets and some of the ones with hooks with the wax every night before going to bed.
I’ve got linguals so this hasn’t been an issue, but a couple of months ago I had a small brace placed on the outside of a molar and wisdom tooth. The intention here is to raise an impacted wisdom tooth out of the gum. That said, this part of the brace rests against my cheek 24/7 and is always cut up. I permanently wear wax on it now. If I persisted, would my cheek eventually get used to the brace here?

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

Mine did. But I only wear them on at night and during the day, I usually don't wear them unless my cheeks are cut and then I would wear them until my cheek heals from each cut. I would also remove them when I eat as well.

I don't wear them 24/7 because I wanted to let my cheeks toughen. Now my cheeks hardly ever get cut anymore.

djspeece

#6 Post by djspeece »

You might want to experiment with putting your head on your arm (e.g., if lying on right side, bend your right arm so that your forehead is resting on your right forearm) which might reduce the pressure and at least allow you to fall asleep.
Or take a couple of shots before bedtime and you really won't care.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

OHbraces

#7 Post by OHbraces »

I like the shots idea but with my luck i would end up with a sore mouth and a hangover😖

kplatt2010

#8 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- when my brackets were bothering me; I'd try to sleep with only the upper half of my face on the pillow. Sometimes I would double the pillow. Interestingly; my cheeks don't bother me anymore. Not sure if after 2 1/2 years they've just toughened up enough or the teeth are tipped inward and don't rub my cheek.

Speck

#9 Post by Speck »

Reckon I'll find out about it tonight. I like Dan's idea. I'm gonna try cheesecake. :)
-Andy

Speck

#10 Post by Speck »

Woke up a couple times dreaming about mild discomfort; sure enough, cheek against the pillow. :lol:
-Andy

braceace

#11 Post by braceace »

I'm missing a molar on my right side, so the wire there floats from the premolar to the back molar, and I always sleep on my right side. Now I have a permanent fine straight line embedded in my cheek :shock: :lol:
My Braces Story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54043

Mpkh

#12 Post by Mpkh »

I think I just got used to it. I’ve always slept on my side...so I think my mouth just got used to the braces pressed against my cheek while I sleep.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

OHbraces

#13 Post by OHbraces »

Has anyone tried a light weight universal sports mouth guard while sleeping. If not molded I wouldn't think it would restrict tooth movement but would cushion between brackets and cheeks...

Speck

#14 Post by Speck »

braceace wrote: Thu Dec 06, 2018 2:34 pm I'm missing a molar on my right side, so the wire there floats from the premolar to the back molar, and I always sleep on my right side. Now I have a permanent fine straight line embedded in my cheek :shock: :lol:
Haha!

Honestly, I haven't noticed discomfort of any significance thus far. But the uppers aren't on, yet.
-Andy

MizAndie

#15 Post by MizAndie »

Thank you all for your advice for this poster. I was wondering about that as I sleep on my side and stomach! My braces will be going on next month so I was nervous about that.