Why did the hygienist smooth off an elastic hook?!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cbraces678

Why did the hygienist smooth off an elastic hook?!

#1 Post by cbraces678 »

Today at my adjustment the hygeniest put my new wires in and then said she just had to smooth something that she could see would bug me. I literally had no idea what it could be but that’s fine. Once I get to my car, I noticed it was the hook of one of the brackets on my lower front teeth. I was using this bracket hook for the triangle configuration elastics for the last 3 months. Thankfully the ortho said to take a break from elastics because everything was looking good, so I don’t need it right now, but what if I need it for elastics in the future?? I assume they will replace the bracket. I’m totally fine using wax if something bugs me and it did bug me sometimes, but not that much. Anyone else have that? I guess it’s super minor, but it just seemed unnecessary.

Heartofdarkness

Re: Why did the hygienist smooth off an elastic hook?!

#2 Post by Heartofdarkness »

That's strange. Did she file it all down? Lucky you, haha... those hooks are killing my mouth, even now after almost 2 years. I never got to wear elastics so I've been tortured all this time with those hooks for nothing.

cbraces678

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

Yes, all the way down. It’s totally gone! That’s good that you haven’t had to wear elastics at least! I have had elastics since about 4 months. I am interested to see what to ortho says when he realizes the hook isn’t there anymore lol.

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I would bring it up to the ortho at your next check up. Don't wait for him to realize that it's gone. Cos he may not. There is no reason why the hygienist should totally file off an elastic hook.

cbraces678

#5 Post by cbraces678 »

Right??? I was literally dumbfounded when I saw that it was gone. You’re right. I will bring it up at my next adjustment, so he can either deal with it then or wait until I need an elastic there again. I know I’ll be wearing a lot more elastics in my time braced, so I just couldn’t believe that.

Speck

#6 Post by Speck »

Nice to be rid
cbraces678 wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:20 am Today at my adjustment the hygeniest put my new wires in and then said she just had to smooth something that she could see would bug me. I literally had no idea what it could be but that’s fine. I’m totally fine using wax if something bugs me and it did bug me sometimes...
Sounds as though the tech was diligent and may have helped eliminate an intermittent source of irritation? If so, bravo!

I wonder if the replacement operation of one bracket (should the need arise) be a trivial enough to justify filing down the hook?

Cheers!
-Andy

Vega

#7 Post by Vega »

When i was in elastics, i had a configuration that required an extra hook, he fabricated on out of metal wire that was placed around the hookless-bracket.
He said it was actually stronger then the ones that are already on a bracket.

assertives

#8 Post by assertives »

Oh I have one such hook which my ortho called the crimpable hook. I have only been using hooks/loops made on my wires to hook the elastics on the top to the hooks on the brackets at the bottom.