What were your teeth like before getting braces off?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tested

What were your teeth like before getting braces off?

#1 Post by tested »

I got my braces off last week (woohoo) but at the same time, it wasn't as great as I expected it to be. None of my back molars touch/touched when I bite but my ortho said it should settle with the retainers. Could someone explain this to me. I don't get how teeth move to meet when they're apart. How do they 'know' that they're apart, additionally, from eating, aren't we creating force for the teeth to go up?

Did anyone else have this experience? Did your teeth eventually settle?

Thanks

wendydong

Re: What were your teeth like before getting braces off?

#2 Post by wendydong »

i am far from finished, but i've seen youtube videos where people say that their ortho sort of constructed the retainer to where he want the teeth to be, and have the retainer act like a invisalign....

I think right now, u have no choice since your braces are off already. Wear the retainer for like maybe 3,4 months, and if you still have an open bite, go back to your ortho and see what he/she says

tested

#3 Post by tested »

wendydong wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 10:43 pm i am far from finished, but i've seen youtube videos where people say that their ortho sort of constructed the retainer to where he want the teeth to be, and have the retainer act like a invisalign....

I think right now, u have no choice since your braces are off already. Wear the retainer for like maybe 3,4 months, and if you still have an open bite, go back to your ortho and see what he/she says
That might explain why my teeth hurt a little with the retainers. But still, I had bands which helped correct the open bite, I don't think there's any force pulling my teeth down enough.

My ortho will be gone by then haha

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

I'm about to get my braces off and I still have a premolar that is not exactly in contact with the lower one although not quite considered an open bite per say. My ortho has also said that there is a period where they call it the "settling" period where the teeth will still be moving a little before settling into their final positions and during this time, I would be in retainers to help I guess guide things a little. But he did say it could take up to 6 months though.

tested

#5 Post by tested »

assertives wrote: Thu Nov 29, 2018 3:54 am I'm about to get my braces off and I still have a premolar that is not exactly in contact with the lower one although not quite considered an open bite per say. My ortho has also said that there is a period where they call it the "settling" period where the teeth will still be moving a little before settling into their final positions and during this time, I would be in retainers to help I guess guide things a little. But he did say it could take up to 6 months though.
I hope this is true, if it's just one or two teeth I wouldn't mind but it's all my back teeth.