Tartar plaque around brackets

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

Tartar plaque around brackets

#1 Post by Fiatbraces »

Around my brackets I have a small amount of tartar build up, it’s only a small amount but really annoying as I really look after my teeth, I brush 3 times a day but it still builds up, is this normal or should I be worried about permenantly damage? Thanks

Speck

Re: Tartar plaque around brackets

#2 Post by Speck »

If you don't mind answering some questions it'd be appreciated: Do you use a water-flosser, string floss, or both? Also, while in braces, do you visit a dentist for quarterly teeth cleanings?
-Andy

Fiatbraces

#3 Post by Fiatbraces »

Speck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm If you don't mind answering some questions it'd be appreciated: Do you use a water-flosser, string floss, or both? Also, while in braces, do you visit a dentist for quarterly teeth cleanings?
Hi, thanks for your reply, I use string floss once a day and I visit my dentist every 6 months and they never clean my teeth for me, they just check my teeth say everything is ok and that’s all, they never clean them which is annoying

wendydong

#4 Post by wendydong »

Fiatbraces wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:29 pm
Speck wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:04 pm If you don't mind answering some questions it'd be appreciated: Do you use a water-flosser, string floss, or both? Also, while in braces, do you visit a dentist for quarterly teeth cleanings?
Hi, thanks for your reply, I use string floss once a day and I visit my dentist every 6 months and they never clean my teeth for me, they just check my teeth say everything is ok and that’s all, they never clean them which is annoying
try a waterpik. waterpik has multiple different kinds of tips, floss tips, orthodontics tips. You can spray around and on the brackets.

and more importantly, u need to get your teeth regularly cleaned

wendydong

#5 Post by wendydong »

and add in mouth wash as well

Fiatbraces

#6 Post by Fiatbraces »

wendydong wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:54 pm [quote=Fiatbraces post_id=505595 time=<a href="tel:1542670193">1542670193</a> user_id=31560]
[quote=Speck post_id=505593 time=<a href="tel:1542665083">1542665083</a> user_id=32114]
If you don't mind answering some questions it'd be appreciated: Do you use a water-flosser, string floss, or both? Also, while in braces, do you visit a dentist for quarterly teeth cleanings?
[/quote]

try a waterpik. waterpik has multiple different kinds of tips, floss tips, orthodontics tips. You can spray around and on the brackets.

and more importantly, u need to get your teeth regularly cleaned
[/quote]

Hi, I use a Floride mouthwas as well daily and have just ordered a waterpik from eBay, only £7.99, I’m just wondering how does a dentist clean teeth with the brace on would the brace need to be taken off, I worry damage could be caused to the brace wire or powerchain?thanks

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

The dentist will be able to clean your teeth while you're in braces. Maybe the stuff you see around the bracket(s) isn't tartar but, rather, glue that has discolored?
-Andy

assertives

#8 Post by assertives »

I go to get my teeth cleaned at the dentist once every 3 months and then once every 6 months after my dentist told me that my teeth are clean and do not need to go as often. Perhaps you should schedule cleaning appointments instead of just check up appointments. I know that from where I live, these are not the same. The cleaning appointments I make are usually 30mins long while the check up appointments are usually shorter. So maybe that's why each time you go they don't clean your teeth.

You can have teeth cleaned even in braces. But I would call to find out beforehand as I have heard of people mentioning that they were told to get their wires removed before the cleaning happens and then get their wires back on after that. I personally didn't need that but I have noticed that my dentist is only cleaning plaque and tartar but didn't do stain removing.

kplatt2010

#9 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Fiatbraces- I would concur with Speck. My glue holding the brackets is now discolored. Probably due to my love of coffee and tea.
Karla

Speck

#10 Post by Speck »

kplatt2010 wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:24 pm...due to my love of coffee and tea.
Kindred spirit! :)
-Andy

LittleTooth

#11 Post by LittleTooth »

You are not alone :cry:
No matter how much I brush and floss, the tartar appears within 2 weeks of professional cleaning. I go to the dentist every 3 months and she removes chunks of tartar. I was told that some people are more prone to it. I was like that before braces and now with the braces it's become worse. 100% of the time only my lower teeth/brackets are affected. The hygienist cleans is without having the wire removed and she flosses them properly too. The appointment takes about an hour.

assertives

#12 Post by assertives »

LittleTooth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 pm You are not alone :cry:
No matter how much I brush and floss, the tartar appears within 2 weeks of professional cleaning. I go to the dentist every 3 months and she removes chunks of tartar. I was told that some people are more prone to it. I was like that before braces and now with the braces it's become worse. 100% of the time only my lower teeth/brackets are affected. The hygienist cleans is without having the wire removed and she flosses them properly too. The appointment takes about an hour.
If you haven't already, you might want to consider one of those at home dental kits where you can use to scrape plaque from your teeth daily. I do it personally and do notice that the plaque does build up daily at certain spots. I have been using the one from dentek.

pamelah0109

#13 Post by pamelah0109 »

I find that a child size tooth brush helps get into the small areas. I also use the dental picks, waterpik, floss and a mouthwash daily.

LittleTooth

#14 Post by LittleTooth »

assertives wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:16 pm
LittleTooth wrote: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 pm You are not alone :cry:
If you haven't already, you might want to consider one of those at home dental kits where you can use to scrape plaque from your teeth daily. I do it personally and do notice that the plaque does build up daily at certain spots. I have been using the one from dentek.
I have a bunch of professional tools from my uncle's dental office (he is a retired dentist) and sometimes I scrape off the big chunks myself. I definitely recommend these kits too.
At least if I end up with black triangles in my lower front teeth (I will probably get 2 black triangles as my bottom canines were tilted and the interdental papilla is lost), I know that within a week or so, these spaces will fill up with tartar :-* :-* :-*

Meowmeowbeans2

#15 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

I caved today and got interdental brushes to scrub around each bracket... I think there’s a white line forming behind the wire on two lower incisors where I wasn’t quite brushing with my toothbrush or blasting with waterpik. I also grabbed the purple zero alcohol Listerine for more fluoride!

What else can I do??? I didn’t get white spots from braces as a teen, but I also was way less intense on hygiene... I do t want to end up with gross teeth after $7k and 16 months!

16 month sentence December 2018 to April 2020... Debraced May 2020 with only a 2 month COVID-19 delay!
My braces story: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=54116