Food Impaction after Space Closure :-(

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

hotmouth112

Food Impaction after Space Closure :-(

#1 Post by hotmouth112 »

Hi,

I had a space closed for a congenitally missing second premolar in the mandibular arch. My orthodontist didn't evaluate the gaps carefully before debonding me. I mentioned to my orthodontist towards the end of the treatment that I was having food impaction problems and he told me this was due to tooth size discrepancy and the gingival embrasure was not natural. I now realize that my treatment probably wasn't completed correctly because there is a loose point of less than a few mm between the first molar and the first premolar because the floss doesn't register a clicking noise around the contact point (gap of the second premolar was closed). The food impaction usually happens between the first molar and the second molar and I have to use interdental brush regularly to clean that area. I am wondering if moving to create a tighter gap around the first molar and first premolar will solve the problem of food impaction around the first molar and second molar contact point.

I am really tempted to get back into braces to correct this problem. Many orthodontists are telling me my goal is not worth pursuing but for me food impaction is a terrible problem. I personally feel it should be an onus on every orthodontist to evaluate a patient with extreme caution for food impaction related problem before debonding them. Anyways I hope some of the professionals on this forum can help me find a solution to my problem.

Highly appreciate the feedback.

Thanks

Heartofdarkness

Re: Food Impaction after Space Closure :-(

#2 Post by Heartofdarkness »

I don't have an answer but have been wondering this myself as I have the same problem. I guess I thought that was just something you would have to deal with after moving everything around.