Chewing gum alternatives?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Craigxt22

Chewing gum alternatives?

#1 Post by Craigxt22 »

Hi guys

So I have just had my braces in yesterday and have been advised by my othordontist not to have chewing gum.

Now I have always had chewing gum for the last 10 years or so as it prevents bad breath because it makes more saliva in your mouth.

I was wondering if there were any alternatives to chewing gum to keep saliva up, as my mouth is generally quite dry without it?

Thanks

assertives

Re: Chewing gum alternatives?

#2 Post by assertives »

If you have a dry mouth, you can try those mouth washes that are catered for dry mouths. I've also read that sucking on sugar free hard candies can help to stimulate saliva flow as well.

Jami1

#3 Post by Jami1 »

There are also dry mouth lozenges that you can find in the dental aisle at your local Walgreens and CVS. These are the same ones that patients on chemo sometimes use as chemo can cause dry mouth. I was addicted to chewing gum too but use the mini Altoid mints instead (not the full size ones). Good Luck

Speck

#4 Post by Speck »

-Andy

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

I chewed sugarfree gum while I had braces. I have a bad daytime grinding habit, and the gum chewing kept me from grinding my teeth. So, maybe the lesser of two evils? Sugarfree gum did not stick to my brackets or wires at all. I know it is a "no no" for many orthodontists, but I truly had no problems with it. YMMV, of course... :D