Dental cleaning and braces?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

Dental cleaning and braces?

#1 Post by Gia »

I had a dental cleaning 2 months before I got braces - that's when I got referred to an orthodontist. I have another scheduled in a few weeks. I know the orthodontist sent a letter to my dentist, but I haven't had any contact. I'm assuming they can do the cleaning with wires on? How much longer does it take than a normal cleaning?

wendydong

Re: Dental cleaning and braces?

#2 Post by wendydong »

the best thing is to do 3 appts for your dental cleaning

1) have your wires removed at your ortho office
2) get the dental cleaning
3) have your wires put back on at your ortho office.

they can do the cleaning with wires on, but it's difficult. Without the wires, it takes about the same time as usual

cbraces678

#3 Post by cbraces678 »

Hi Gia,

I get my teeth cleaned every 3 months with my wires in. My ortho is about an hour away whereas my dentist is local, so removing the wires isn't an option for me. The cleaning doesn't take much longer than a normal one, but it is different. First they use a water scaler (basically a very very high powered, precise Waterpik lol). They then do regular scaling. Finally, polishing is done by an air polishing system rather than regular rotational polishing. It's sort of like getting your teeth sandblasted with powder. My teeth feel very clean after and I think I'm in the chair for about 30 minutes. The cost is the same as a regular cleaning as well. Hopefully that helps!

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

Thanks. Getting wires removed and replaced is not an option for me. I schedule dental cleanings first thing Saturday morning. No other time is an option with work, and I don't have time to go back and forth with 3 visits. Even if I could coordinate the appointments, that would take the entire morning. The info about what they do is helpful. I have other things already scheduled afterwards and am trying to figure out if I need to change anything.

Jethro

#5 Post by Jethro »

I've always had dental cleanings with the wires on and have never had an issue. An experienced hygienist is accustomed to working on patients with braces. The time has been the same...30 minutes or less.

All the Best,

Jethro

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

Thanks.

kplatt2010

#7 Post by kplatt2010 »

Bless me Father because I've been a super bad girl...Use to go to dentist twice yearly for cleanings and have not been in ~3 years. My first rationale was the pain and suffering from braces during the first year adapting. Second year excuse was major jaw surgery; that one was a good one...Going on third year and newest rationale is waiting to get the braces off and then get a cleaning.

Knock on wood; I have not had any major issues. I've been super good with keeping things clean and using waterpik. I'm not a flosser nor ever been one nor will ever become one. I use to floss one week before dental appointments but have not been in 3 years so no flossing!!

My ortho does remark every time i go how remarkably clean my teeth are. That Waterpik is the BOMB!!!

I do solemnly swear to go to the dentist once the braces come off :D