Did your Orthodox show a 3D simulation of your teeth

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wendydong

Did your Orthodox show a 3D simulation of your teeth

#1 Post by wendydong » Sat Nov 03, 2018 11:17 am

I was talking to someone who mentioned that when she started with braces, she went to an ortho that showed her in a computer 3D simulation of what her teeth would look like?

She was considering between IPR and extracting a molar.

But when I went to 2 different initial consultations, nobody showed me a computer simulation.

Was anyone shown a simulation beforehand?

AndAndAnd

Re: Did your Orthodox show a 3D simulation of your teeth

#2 Post by AndAndAnd » Sun Nov 04, 2018 12:26 am

Yes, I was shown a simulation. The orthodontist I go to seems to have all the gadgets and is very high tech and modern. I’ve got to admit, seeing the 3D simulation was a bit of an emotional experience. I’m not sure they are entirely accurate, but it helped sign me up for treatment.

A note to the above... I paid for this consultation / service (£200), which would be taken off the bill if I began treatment. The consultation lasted over 2 hours so this seemed a fair fee to me.

wendydong

#3 Post by wendydong » Sun Nov 04, 2018 3:25 pm

Just want to make sure u were shown a simulation even though u were getting braces, correct?

I know that with invisalign, there is the clincheck video, but when I went on 2 initial consultations with 2 different Orthodontists, neither of them showed me a simulation

assertives

#4 Post by assertives » Sun Nov 04, 2018 4:23 pm

I think it depends on the kind of technology that the ortho office has. I've heard of people getting that simulation thing with metal braces as well, and also using digital scans to take impressions instead of the traditional putty but my ortho office does not have this technology though. The end result/vision is only in my ortho's head and not on a computer. :D

AndAndAnd

#5 Post by AndAndAnd » Mon Nov 05, 2018 8:30 am

@wendydong - yes, the simulation was given with my choice of lingual braces. As Assertives mentions, I was also give a digital scan instead of a regular impression. I think that’s the only way they can model the outcome into a simulation.