Waterpic

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceblues

Waterpic

#1 Post by Braceblues »

I have been using the waterpic since I got my braces put on but I am curious what setting does everyone use? I only set it on two because it is so messy.
Also do you just do the braces? Or braces and gum line and between teeth? I do all of it.

Jami1

Re: Waterpic

#2 Post by Jami1 »

I set on the highest setting.... I do gums and brackets.... have to say I would be a basket case without it as I definitely think it gets more gunk out! In regards to getting water everywhere.... when I first started using it, I turned the thing on before putting it in my mouth.... wrong choice! I now turn it on after it is safely in my mouth.... also... don’t try looking in the mirror at what you are doing....water water everywhere! Hang your head over the sink so all the water and leftover spinach goes down the drain😝Hope this helps

Braceblues

#3 Post by Braceblues »

Thanks jami1,

Your post was very helpful. I was trying to look in the mirror which explains the mess. 😂 so I guess I won’t do that anymore. I will try the higher setting with my head hanging down and no looking in the mirror.

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

I love it, but use the soft setting. I have a different brand cordless. That said in less than 3 weeks I've had the same two crowns twice, and it always happened while water flossing. So I'm trying to be really careful.

kplatt2010

#5 Post by kplatt2010 »

I'm like Jami I have it on the highest setting. I power wash the teeth and gums.

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

I'd probably w in the orthodontist office every day with broken brackets 😂 he's nice but I've seen enough of him!

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

Is the efficiency of the Waterpik equal to or greater than that of floss? Does daily use of it pose risk of injury to gum tissue?
-Andy

Fangy

#8 Post by Fangy »

I would also like to know opinions on the safety of Waterpiks as even the lowest setting seems REALLY Hard to me and when i first used mine there was A LOT of blood :( when I saw my hygienist for a clean a couple of weeks ago she seemed non approving of my waterpik use and said i should use tape floss instead, even though i told her i cant fit tape inbetween certain teeth. She said Water flossers are still in their early days. She did then go on to use some kind of industrial sized water cleaner on my teeth though....

Jami1

#9 Post by Jami1 »

My hygienist is a big fan of the waterpic....she also had braces as an adult

Gia

#10 Post by Gia »

My orthodontist recommends water flossers. As for early days, I swear my childhood orthodontist recommended a water pic back almost 50 years ago! Not that my parents got one!

kplatt2010

#11 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey Fangy,
I'm 52 and on my second round of braces. First time around I was 13 and I had a Waterpik then. The Waterpik has been around a long time because I'm old :lol: . The new model is supposedly a new and improved generation of the original.

I think your hygienist needs to read up a little and get up-to-date on current guidelines / best practices as the ADA gives it their seal of approval. https://www.ada.org/en/publications/ada ... n-ada-seal

My ortho office is always raving about how great my gums and teeth look. I love my Waterpik and plan on continuing to use after braces as I HATE flossing.
Here's a helpful Youtube video for how to use a Waterpik.
https://youtu.be/tmBcEf2jfks

Gia

#12 Post by Gia »

Water pic invented in 1962, and widely marketed by 1967. Glad some one else, though younger than me remembers it from back then 😂

Braceblues

#13 Post by Braceblues »

My hygienist recommended that I use the waterpic and my ortho agrees.

Speck

#14 Post by Speck »

kplatt2010 wrote: Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:40 pmHere's a helpful Youtube video for how to use a Waterpik.
https://youtu.be/tmBcEf2jfks
Thanks for the linky, Karla.
-Andy

susnrob

#15 Post by susnrob »

I've been using a waterpik for over 5 years now. My dentist highly recommended I try one since my teeth were slightly crowded and flossing was difficult for me. I got a pendulum appliance in July and I don't know how I'd survive without my waterpik. When I first got one I worked my way up to an 8 setting. I'm still comfortable with it set on 8. Occasionally I set it a bit over 8 or on 9, but that's typically only when something is really stuck in the springs of my pendulum. I don't like higher than 8 for my gumline though. It can be messy, but I minimize that by having my face over the sink and my mouth mostly closed. We have well water and recently I noticed a not so great taste when using my waterpik, so I tossed it and bought a new one. I currently have the Waterpik OrthoCare system. It's a combo of waterpik and toothbrush (which I needed as well). I'm very happy with it!