2.5 weeks and my teeth still don't hurt

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

almost40

2.5 weeks and my teeth still don't hurt

#1 Post by almost40 »

It seems to me it's the norm for there to be quite a bit of pain and discomfort after getting braces on, but honestly, apart from getting used to the brackets against my mouth, I feel some pressure but no pain. I certainly have the feeling of instability with my teeth so I can't bite anything with confidence, but no pain. I'm worried that the wire isn't doing much because it's not hurting. My ortho was surprised as well considering I'm 40 years old. Anyone else experience this?

wendydong

Re: 2.5 weeks and my teeth still don't hurt

#2 Post by wendydong »

i didn't really have any pain in the first 3,4 months.. i have had pain on some particular teeth on and off in the last month or so.. but no real pain in my overall mouth

AndAndAnd

#3 Post by AndAndAnd »

Same here for me, no pain whatsoever after any appointment over the last year (and I am a similar age). I guess we are lucky! It doesn’t mean your teeth are not shifting.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I don't think pain is necessary with teeth movement. Of course, you realize you have just jinxed yourself :wink: . I did not have any pain from the first wire either, my discomfort was from my cheeks rubbing against the brackets. I recall the technician asking me how my pain was, and actually seemed a bit disappointed that I was not suffering more. That changed when the ortho added powerchains and elastics later in the treatment --then the first few days after an appointment were uncomfortable -- not horrible, just unrelenting minor aggravation, like a bad ex-wife (or husband, I suppose) :lol: . Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

susnrob

#5 Post by susnrob »

I'm 36 and 4 months into ortho treatment. I experience quite a bit of pain after my braces were put on and after my first adjustment that lasted about a week. In comparison my 10 year old daughter is typically only sore for about 2 days. My second adjustment was very minor (same wire and just a short power chain on bottom left) and I had very little pain....so nice!