Worried I’ve ruined my orthodontic treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Fiatbraces

Worried I’ve ruined my orthodontic treatment

#1 Post by Fiatbraces » Fri Oct 12, 2018 12:01 am

I wear elastics however last night I was tired and attached my elastics in completely the wrong area and woke up this morning with an achy jaw and pain in my teeth, anyway I took the elastic off immediately and the pain has subsided, could I have caused any permenant damage to my teeth or ruined my orthodontic treatment? Thanks

assertives

Re: Worried I’ve ruined my orthodontic treatment

#2 Post by assertives » Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:35 am

My uneducated guess is it depends on how much movement and what type of movement you've had. You could possibly set your treatment back if your teeth ended up moving in the opposite direction your ortho is intending or over correcting.

I suspect a few hours should not do much harm as it would probably relapse anyway if the elastics are not worn consistently in that configuration but then I'm not an ortho. I suggest you give your ortho's office a call and let your ortho advise you.

Fiatbraces

#3 Post by Fiatbraces » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 am

[quote=assertives post_id=505049 time=1539340559 user_id=30576]
My uneducated guess is it depends on how much movement and what type of movement you've had. You could possibly set your treatment back if your teeth ended up moving in the opposite direction your ortho is intending or over correcting.

I suspect a few hours should not do much harm as it would probably relapse anyway if the elastics are not worn consistently in that configuration but then I'm not an ortho. I suggest you give your ortho's office a call and let your ortho advise you.
[/quote]

Thanks for replying, I guess I was wearing them for 12 hours in the wrong position, I didn’t notice any movement but my jaw hurt when I woke up, could I have cause damage to my roots by wearing them in the wrong position for 12 hours and does anyone else know whether I could have delayed my treatment by wearing elastics in the wrong position for 12 hours? Thanks

AndAndAnd

#4 Post by AndAndAnd » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am

Teeth don’t move that fast so I would say there is no harm done. Had you worn them incorrectly for a whole month or so then I’m guessing you could have caused some temporary issues for your Orthodontist to correct.

Fiatbraces

#5 Post by Fiatbraces » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:58 am

Thank you so much, really appreciate your reply
AndAndAnd wrote:
Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:42 am
Teeth don’t move that fast so I would say there is no harm done. Had you worn them incorrectly for a whole month or so then I’m guessing you could have caused some temporary issues for your Orthodontist to correct.