How does everyone deal with tmj symptoms while in braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceblues

How does everyone deal with tmj symptoms while in braces

#1 Post by Braceblues »

I am 3 1/2 months of having braces. I only had the jaw popping before braces but I had a lot of crooked teeth and bad bite. Now my teeth are at their worst. She is still trying to make room to straighten a few of them. I have blue molar build ups to help with bite but now I am getting achy shoulder,neck and headaches. I am guessing from the teeth being way out of line at this point. How do I get through this till things get better. Has anyone else dealt with this while in braces? When did it start getting better? What did you do to ease it? Need encouragement that things will get better.

wendydong

Re: How does everyone deal with tmj symptoms while in braces

#2 Post by wendydong »

last week or so, my jaw is always out of its socket when i wake up. I have to crack it back into socket. I bought a shock doctor mouthguard from amazon, will let u know how it does after i use it

Steph30

#3 Post by Steph30 »

Hello - I just wanted to let you know that at first when I got my braces my TMJ was SO BAD - my mouth had a mind of its own and my jaw was constantly sliding over to one side - popping out - locking and sooo painful.. After a while in braces it got quite a bit better - but cold compresses (Wet cold cloths - not ice - the moisture is good) - And I also did heat as well - again not dry heat - use a hot cloth... at first your ligaments all loosen up so the teeth can move but eventually things settle down - my jaw is still not great but its improved at least 80%.. im still in braces now and hoping to be 100% when they come off.

Braceblues

#4 Post by Braceblues »

Hello steph30,

I am so glad you answered my post. Thank you so much. I have been in tears all day and told my husband I wanted the braces off. Not that I can because my teeth are all moved out and slanted right now. As they say they will get worse before better. Thank you for the suggestions. I have so many questions I would like to ask you.

How long have you been in braces?
Did you just have the jaw problem or did it cause pain shoulder,neck and head pain too.
How long before you started getting relief?

I know I will think of more. Maybe I can pm you support? I so don’t know if I can do this. I would be thrilled if mine was 80 percent better at this point but she still has to move two more crooked teeth. My jaw and neck hurt when I try to chew food now.

Steph30

#5 Post by Steph30 »

I will PM you - im happy to answer questions but keep in mind every person is different!

SDFD TSchott

#6 Post by SDFD TSchott »

I'm also in braces for my TMJ and have noticed the same thing. I Already lost track how long I've already had been back in braces but I have already noticed alot more popping of the jaw when I yawn and or chew and becomes very annoying.

Adjustment Sept 14th, 2018
Braces back on August 06, 2018
Braces off April 02, 2008