Do your black triangles change size during the treatment

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wendydong

Do your black triangles change size during the treatment

#1 Post by wendydong »

Well, I am crying over spilled milk every day and regretting the decision of getting braces

My upper teeth were straight and.without any black triangles. Now today I woke.up with a new.blacl triangle. I believe it's because the relationship between my two front teeth are changing that's causing these black.triangles.

Now my front 6 teeth all have black triangles between them. Do these black triangles get smaller or disappear over the course of the braces? I can't see me.doing IPR on all 6 teeth...

kplatt2010

Re: Do your black triangles change size during the treatment

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Wendy,
Not sure what you are referring to regarding black triangles. Is this gaps that are forming black triangles; staining??

Also what type of braces do you have?
Karla

wendydong

#3 Post by wendydong »

No, it's the gum between the 2 teeth no longer there due to the 2 teeth position changed
Screenshot_20181007-123812.jpg
I am taking care of my gum. I believe the black triangles appeared becausey teeth position changed so much.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

tiffingirl

#4 Post by tiffingirl »

Wendydong, you can ask you ortho to do IPR (interproximal reduction) where the sides of the teeth are shaved very lightly so that when the gaps close (and they will be at some stage in your treatment) the teeth will be able to fit together neatly with no dark areas.

assertives

#5 Post by assertives »

I have black triangles between pretty much every tooth now and the biggest ones are between my lower incisors and between all my upper molars. The ones between the molars I had before braces but the rest only showed up after my teeth started moving. I had alot of movement because I had moderate crowding and a pretty bad deep overbite.

The ones between my lower incisors have stayed pretty much the same since they appeared in month 3 (I'm now in month 15 of my treatment). I think they will remain that way since my lower teeth were pretty crowded all my life and some of them were pushed out. I probably also have lower bone levels there too.

The upper ones between my central and lateral incisors are still there but have gotten quite abit smaller and not as visible now that things are more or less stable. My guess is some would improve over time if there were sufficient bone levels between those teeth, but some would probably stay that way. But ipr would help to some extent to make the teeth fit a little better together.

wendydong

#6 Post by wendydong »

Hi assertive, have you talked to your Ortho about what to do with these black triangles?

Like some one said, IPR seems to be the standard answer, but I don't want to IPR on my front 6 teeth as my teeth are small to begin with

assertives

#7 Post by assertives »

No, I have not. I actually wasn't really planning on talking to him about it and was thinking of just getting a periodontist's opinion instead. The top ones I was actually ok to live with them. It's the lower ones and the ones between my upper molars that I'm more concerned about since they look a little more severe and I suspect it's not something my ortho can help with.

I might ask my ortho about getting abit of ipr on the lower incisors since their shape looks a little odd at the chewing edge resulting in long and slender black triangle gaps and see how things go from there. I do think some amount of settling will happen after the teeth are in their "final" positions so I would wait abit before deciding what to do or not do anything.

Meowmeowbeans2

#8 Post by Meowmeowbeans2 »

OMG this is my greatest fear! I'm getting braces on to prevent further gum recession from my bad bite, but I'm terrified of getting black triangles, especially on my upper front teeth!

Let us know what the ortho says please!

wendydong

#9 Post by wendydong »

Meowmeowbeans2, from what i can tell, black triangles are inevitable if u can crowded teeth.. no matter how u keep your teeth clean.

in my case, my top teeth were pretty straight and uncrowded, yet, i am having 3,4 of these black triangles right between my top central 6 teeth...

IPR seems to be the standard answer.

this is another one of the reason why i regret getting braces...i had some some crowded teeth on the bottom. I should have just got some brackets on those bottom teeth and fixed those. I saw a youtube video yesterday where an ortho in england showed that he put brackets on the back of lower central teeth only, and straightened those lower center teeth out...

I wish i had done that instead of the whole mouth braces.. Now, my bite is way worse than before, so i am stuck...

StaceyJeannette

#10 Post by StaceyJeannette »

I had black triangles before getting braces; now some of them are bigger because my teeth are no longer overlapping. I was told that I have them because of #1 the shape of my teeth and #2 losing bone as I grow older makes the gums recede. I was also told that IPR will help them and that doesn’t bother me too much because I have big top teeth. Not sure how I would feel about it if I already had narrow teeth. I just hate that food gets stuck in the black triangles!!

assertives

#11 Post by assertives »

Meowmeowbeans2 wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:57 pm OMG this is my greatest fear! I'm getting braces on to prevent further gum recession from my bad bite, but I'm terrified of getting black triangles, especially on my upper front teeth!

Let us know what the ortho says please!
From what I understand, braces can both help and worsen gum recession. For me, teeth that are pushed out or back in the arch due to overcrowding, getting braces with teeth extracted did help the gums levels on those teeth become not as low. But for those teeth that were not pushed back or outside of the arch, but just impacted or overlapped, realigning those teeth resulted in some black triangles because there was previously no room for normal gum tissue to grow between them when the teeth were overlapped. Then that coupled with aging in general.. I guess it happens.

I've seen some of my friends who had braces as an adult and also noticed those black triangles on their lower front teeth as well. It's pretty common in adults getting braces.

hereorthere

#12 Post by hereorthere »

the black triangles appeared between some of my bottom teeth at one point during the process, but few months down the road, they are much better and almost not visible. before braces, i had mild crowding and a slight underbite. my ortho said the gaps are normal while the teeth are still moving/settling.