60 and braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

60 and braced

#1 Post by Gia »

Well got braced this morning. Thanks to all for the advice over the past few weeks. I was really anxious, but they are so nice there, it made a huge difference. Braces as a kid weren't bad, but my experience with the orthodontist was. We decided it was best for me to go with all metal and I'm fine with that. It's been 4 hours and it's starting to get painful. But I'm not sure if that's worse, or the feeling of so much stuff all over my mouth or the bite buildups. The silver lining is that they may turn out to be a diet aid. He told me to eat right away before it became painful. Even cutting it into miniscule pieces I gave up after one slice of tomato, half a piece of bacon and about half the scrambled eggs. I let the crustless bread turn to mush in my mouth and then just swallowed. Don't even want to try to eat anything else, as this was all still pain free! Know I just have to wait it out and it's only just starting, and I'm excited to have finally begun :tingrin:

Gia

Re: 60 and braced

#2 Post by Gia »

Haven't been able to figure out how to attach pictures.

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

To attach pictures, click the "attachment" tab at the bottom of the text box when you post a comment and you can add files accordingly. Congrats on getting started! All the best in your journey!

Jami1

#4 Post by Jami1 »

Congratulations....I just hold on to the fact that it will all be worth it when I have a beautiful smile!! I haven't really had too much pain so far (3 months in). My biggest complaint aside from the length of time it takes to get all the yuck out of my teeth each time I eat is the fact that my mouth is extremely dry all the time. Best of luck to you!

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Congrats, and sincere wish for your treatment to go smoothly!
-Andy

Gia

#6 Post by Gia »

Well first night with braces, and didn't get much sleep. But I'm sitting here, with coffee, laughing at myself! Several times woke up from dream where I was spitting out pieces of my teeth :lol:

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

Congratulations, Gia, and I hope your journey isn't too difficult! I for one have not lost weight in braces as I've always found a way to eat. And ice cream is always easy, even in the worst pain...lol. :-*

Braceblues

#8 Post by Braceblues »

Congratulations Gia on getting your braces. I got my braces 3 months ago. I still can’t eat everything but I have found a lot of softer foods that I can eat with these molar build ups. Good luck in your journey.

Gia

#9 Post by Gia »

Emily Travels, I found some Halo Top caramel macchiatto, which I'd never tried before. I'm going to have to keep it out of the house once my teeth feel better! Meanwhile didn't even do well with that, as the spoon hit my teeth a couple of times :oops:

Gia

#10 Post by Gia »

Question and more whining. My ortho said he was using "a very gentle wire" to start so hopefully there would be less pain. It's a 14 niti which I believe is the smallest? Doesn't everyone start with this? I'm having a much harder time dealing with this than I anticipated. It's not even so much the pain, though it's there. It's just the feeling of everything being so tight and rigid, feeling like there is so much stuff in my mouth, a headache and being really tired from not sleeping. I keep waking up at night with this overwhelming feeling of "I need this out of my mouth now." I had the same kind of feeling when I tried the Essix retainer before deciding against Invisalign. Probably a good decision, because if I could take these out I would. Last night when I woke up with that feeling and of course couldn't, I had a panic attack and then sobbed for a while making everything even worse. I feel like such an idiot to be feeling like this. I'm determined to get through it, and keep trying to talk to myself. I know a big part of it is being tired and not able to eat I'm not even really hungry). I just made pancakes, and even after mashing them up with syrup had a hard time and gave up after a quarter. Even trying to floss brought me to tears, as I just can't get it threaded between some teeth in the back and most of my teeth are much tighter and I force it in, then panic when I can't get it out. Stupid, I know. The biggest surprise is that I'm normally someone who copes well with things and soldiers on. Family calls me "Mrs. Fine," as no matter what that's my response! Sorry again for the whining. Let me practice "I'm fine, thank you." :-((

kplatt2010

#11 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Gia,
Take a deep breath; it's going to get better. It's a big adjustment when you get braces.
Here's a few suggestions:
1. If you have not already invested in a Waterpik; get one. You can get one for ~$50 with a Bed Bath & Beyond coupon. Those bad boys are loud but could not have kept my teeth as clean as I have without one. The warm water massages everything to as the gums and cheeks are going to have to toughen up a little. Work your way up on the levels. I've never been a flosser and I get all sorts of compliments from the ortho techs about clean teeth.
2. Make yourself a Boost Plus milkshake. Add some frozen fruit, ice, and some sort of milk to make the consistency you like. Hunger + pain = a hangry girl . You'll eventually be able to eat real food in 4 to 7 days.
3. Take some Tylenol and Motrin for the pain. Just like we use to medicate our kids; alternate them. Make sure you take some an hour before bedtime.
4. Get some good wax. The stuff the ortho gave me was crap. I got the minty kind from Walgreens that was a little easier to work with and stick instead of falling off all the time.

My big problem with sleep was that i'm a side sleeper and was catching my cheeks in the new hardware. If you have the same issue, perhaps position a bunch of pillow where you can't turn all the way on your side.

It's going to get better; promise.

Karla

Gia

#12 Post by Gia »

Thanks so much Karla! I bought a water flossed in preparation for braces but my teeth hurt so much I haven't used that or my sonicare toothbrush. I tried it tonight with warm water on the soft setting. I've been trying not to take you much Tylenol or Advil. I'll try alternating because I need better control at work. I haven't used any wax. I'm not even sure where I'd put it. I really appreciate all the advice. Can't believe this is so much harder as an adult than as a kid! Guess you just adapt easier. Thanks again.

kplatt2010

#13 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi Gia,
I'm 52 and it was hard getting use to when I first got them. My cheeks were so torn up just in the first couple of days. I wish I would have used the wax sooner. I found some directions for putting the wax on but I find that some waxes will be easier to work with; you may have to shop around.
Directions from Intranet were:
1. Scrub your hands with soap and water, then dry them thoroughly. In this way, you avoid to bring any bacteria into your mouth.
2. Brush your teeth, if you have eaten shortly before. This is not must but it may reduce bacteria buildup and keep the wax cleaner.At least remove any food stuck in the braces where you plan to apply the wax.
3. Take a tiny bit of wax from the container.
4. Now work the wax between your fingers in order to make it little warm and soften. In this way, it will be more shapeable.
5. When you are sure that you can give it a shape, than place the wax directly on the bracket that is causing the irritation.
6. If bracket or wire, where you want to stick the wax, is dry, than the wax will stick to the bracket and the tooth. So make sure that before you apply the wax, your brackets are dry. you can do it with a tissue. The drier the area is, the longer the wax will stick.
7. You need only a little piece of it to be comfortable.
8. You will probably find that your braces irritate the inside of your mouth most when you first have them, so will require more wax.
9. Over time, the skin on the inside of your mouth may toughen up and you may find you require less wax
10. By playing around with it, you will find out how much you need.
11. Dental wax is non-toxic, so don’t worry if you swallow it.
12. Wax, you have applied in your mouth tends to break down over time, so you’ll probably need to re-apply more after eating a meal.
13. If your wax container is empty due to regular usage, don’t worry, individual containers of dental wax are available at most local drugstores or in bulk boxes on the web.

Wax can cover up any area where sharp or rough metal is irritating your inner lips and cheeks. The most common places are the brackets on your front teeth, and the sharp wires at the far back of your mouth. You can find out the exact place by pulling your cheek out and look for any bright red or swollen areas, or gently probe your cheek to find tender areas. You should protect all of these before they develop into cuts, or get infected.

tiffingirl

#14 Post by tiffingirl »

Hi Gia, congrats on your braces! Some excellent advice has already been given here such as getting a Waterpik (I am in love with mine) and using wax when needed. I found that Rincinol mouthwash has been the best thing to heal my mouth which got very torn up and sore in the first 2 weeks. It isn't available here in Australia so I had to get it shipped from the USA at some expense but it was so worth it though. I ordered several bottles and I won't be without it now.

I am 51 and got braced 2 months ago. I went through a "what on earth have I done?" stage , and felt very sorry for myself. I was embarrassed about my lisp caused by the bite turbos and my very obvious (to me anyway) elastics. Anyway, I hardly notice the braces now and I never thought I would get to this stage. I am sure that come adjustment time, I will be feeling the pain again, but now I am prepared!

You will be fine. There's plenty of great support and advice here. Good luck in your braces journey, you have done a wonderful thing for yourself :)
Braced date 16 Aug 2018
Diagnosis Class II Division 2 malocclusion, anterior deep bite (100%), mild overjet, moderate crowding lower, mild crowding upper.
Type Damon clear upper, Damon metal lower
Expected Duration 18-24 months
Desired goals widen smile, bite correction

Gia

#15 Post by Gia »

Thanks! Everybody has been great and a lot of Karla's advice has been helpful, especially the warm water in the flossed. I bought some mouth sore rinse by Colgate, but haven't noticed much help yet. With my job schedule I'm only able to use it after I get home from work and in the morning. At night I have to use this prescription toothpaste and you can't rinse afterward. I just keep reminding myself it's going to impress everyone says. But even if it doesn't I've started and there really isn't turning back!