60 and braced

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kplatt2010

Re: 60 and braced

#16 Post by kplatt2010 »

Boy I wish I would have known about this mouthwash when I first got braced. My cheeks were so messed up.
Karla

Gia

#17 Post by Gia »

The mouthwash really helped! A week today, and the pain is finally starting to improve. I still can't bite down on anything because of pain and the buildups, but the overall pain is better :dance:
I still can't get used to how tight and rigid everything feels, and the sense of how much stuff is in my mouth. I'm constantly aware and struggling with the feeling of I want this stuff out of my mouth now! I actually had some anxiety attacks during the night when I woke up with that feeling. Does it get better? Thanks everyone for all the helpful advice and support :BigTeethGrin:

tiffingirl

#18 Post by tiffingirl »

Glad the mouthwash has helped! I felt the same with all the stuff in my mouth, I felt almost panicky at times. Yes it definitely does get better!
Braced date 16 Aug 2018
Diagnosis Class II Division 2 malocclusion, anterior deep bite (100%), mild overjet, moderate crowding lower, mild crowding upper.
Type Damon clear upper, Damon metal lower
Expected Duration 18-24 months
Desired goals widen smile, bite correction

Gia

#19 Post by Gia »

:dance: :dance: :dance:
I must admit I was skeptical, but of course everyone who is so supportive was correct. The all over pain is finally gone!! It started to improve at day 7and now at day 10 is essentially gone. I still have that crazy tightness and rigidity, as well as constant awareness of the stuff I'm my mouth, but even my torn up cheeks are better. Guess I have to have a little more trust that I'm not going to be some bizarre exception 😂
On the latter note, I found a really old thread where people were talking about having the feelings of claustrophobia, anxiety and panic I'm having with braces. Yesterday afternoon it got so bad I didn't think I could manage it, and seriously thought about going back next week to discuss taking them off if it doesn't go away. I took some benadryl last night that helped take the edge off, and I'm better this morning. Since it's the weekend and I can just hang out I can take the benadryl, but can't do that during the week. If it hasn't improved by early next week I'm going to talk to my family doctor and the orthodontist about trying and SSRI while I have to wear these. I'm hoping everyone is right about this feeling getting better as well. When I'm not feeling anxious, I'm still fascinated at how this so unexpectedly came out of the blue! If you know of anyone else or any other threads, please let me know. And thanks again for all the support and advice. So glad I found this site.

tiffingirl

#20 Post by tiffingirl »

Gia wrote: Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:01 am :dance: :dance: :dance:
I must admit I was skeptical, but of course everyone who is so supportive was correct. The all over pain is finally gone!! It started to improve at day 7and now at day 10 is essentially gone. I still have that crazy tightness and rigidity, as well as constant awareness of the stuff I'm my mouth, but even my torn up cheeks are better. Guess I have to have a little more trust that I'm not going to be some bizarre exception 😂
On the latter note, I found a really old thread where people were talking about having the feelings of claustrophobia, anxiety and panic I'm having with braces. Yesterday afternoon it got so bad I didn't think I could manage it, and seriously thought about going back next week to discuss taking them off if it doesn't go away. I took some benadryl last night that helped take the edge off, and I'm better this morning. Since it's the weekend and I can just hang out I can take the benadryl, but can't do that during the week. If it hasn't improved by early next week I'm going to talk to my family doctor and the orthodontist about trying and SSRI while I have to wear these. I'm hoping everyone is right about this feeling getting better as well. When I'm not feeling anxious, I'm still fascinated at how this so unexpectedly came out of the blue! If you know of anyone else or any other threads, please let me know. And thanks again for all the support and advice. So glad I found this site.
I am glad your mouth is feeling better Gia. I went on a SSRI a couple of weeks after being braced. I had a some major stressful things going on and braces were just about the last straw. It took a couple of weeks to properly kick in and I am feeling 100% better. Not sure how much that is due to the meds or just time passing, or maybe both? It might be good to have a chat with the Dr/Ortho to see what they say. A SSRI can definitely help with anxiety symptoms but there may be other more short-term meds that the Dr can suggest.
Braced date 16 Aug 2018
Diagnosis Class II Division 2 malocclusion, anterior deep bite (100%), mild overjet, moderate crowding lower, mild crowding upper.
Type Damon clear upper, Damon metal lower
Expected Duration 18-24 months
Desired goals widen smile, bite correction

Gia

#21 Post by Gia »

Thanks for sharing that Tiffingirl. While I don't relish having to call the office and explain, I'm going to call and ask to make an appointment on Monday. I understand why the braces triggered this, I just didn't anticipate it. Hopefully he'll be understanding as I'm determined not to stop treatment and need to figure it out, and pretending it's not an issue isn't working that well.

Aler58

#22 Post by Aler58 »

I got braces in March, 2018 at 59 ( I turn 60 Nov 8) and started with thin arch wires. Every 6 weeks, either the top or bottom wires have gotten larger. Last appointment a power chain was added for the 4 front teeth only. I opted for ceramic top and metal bottom with clear ligatures on top and silver on bottom. I drink coffee and the clear ligatures stained quickly so my ortho started putting the teflon coated white wires which worked until the power chains. I don't want colored ligatures so the clear power chains are clear. One and a half weeks in and they are already stained. The technician said to call and they would change them out when ever the staining bothered me too much. Good luck on your journey!

klobird

#23 Post by klobird »

Congratulations Gia!
I hope you find, as I did, for this to be one of the best decisions you have ever made!

Gia

#24 Post by Gia »

Thanks Klobird. Interestingly, I'm not doubting the decision, though I'm still having a hard time, and not knowing if I can do it. I'm taking it a day at a time and really grateful for all the support of everyone here!

Gia

#25 Post by Gia »

Things are not getting much better with the anxiety. I think the medication may be helping a little, but it's caused me to gain 6 pounds in 2 weeks, something I can't afford with having bee working hard for over 6 months to lose 50 and with a lot more to go. I'm still constantly aware of the tightness, and strange as it sounds, eating or drinking anything literally makes the braces feel bigger and tighter. I talk myself through the anxiety all day as I still don't want to have to stop treatment. My first adjustment is next week and I'm anxious about that because I can't imagine how were going to proceed like this. There has been noticeable improvement in my lower incisor. I'm awful with photos so I can't tell about anything else! Going back to my primary today for followup.

EmilyTravels

#26 Post by EmilyTravels »

So sorry you are still having such anxiety, Gia! I too noticed my braces all the time throughout my entire braced period. I focused on them a lot -- too much, but I was going through a rather boring phase of life and didn't have a lot of other things going on to take my focus off my braces.

Interestingly, the last two weeks we were in the US, when I got my lowers off and then my uppers, I was so busy preparing for the move that I barely had time to focus on my braces, and the intense anxiety I had had earlier about getting them off (pain, etc), diminished quite a bit, since my focus was directed elsewhere. And since we've been in our new country, Mexico, for two weeks now and super busy getting settled in (shopping for the house, groceries, etc.), I hardly think about my retainers or teeth, other than to keep them clean and going through the motions. This is the first time I've even come back to his forum since the end of October, in the US.

I guess the reason I'm telling you all this is that at least for me, it really helps to have something else to focus on. Basically to distract you from your braces. I don't know if this is a possibility for you, but maybe a new hobby or something that occupies your mind and at least for certain time periods, gets you thinking about something else entirely unrelated to your teeth and braces. Maybe start learning a new language online (Duolingo app) or anything else that interests you. It's not going to help you 24/7, but anything that removes your focus from your braces should help decrease your anxiety a little.

Best of luck!

Gia

#27 Post by Gia »

Thanks Emily! Hope you're new adventure is going well. I don't have a lot of distractions during the work week. Days are long, busy and stressful but not enough to distract me for long. I have started swimming on the weekend which relaxes me and is 30 minutes or so that I'm not thinking about my teeth! Had the first adjustment yesterday. Doctor gave me the choice of trying a bigger wire, emphasizing he's taking "baby steps" as well as assured me it was OK if I couldn't manage it, to call and we'd go back down. It hurts again which I expect and know will go away. It hasn't made the anxiety any worse, so that's positive! I haven't heard of that app. I used to speak Italian, forgot much of it and would like to brush up, so that's a great suggestion!

808Girl

#28 Post by 808Girl »

Aloha! I turn 60 next week and have had my metal braces for 1 year, 7 months. Never wore braces before, and decided to correct an open/overbite. I remember the first 3 weeks was bad. Couldn't eat very much and lost 4 pounds. I was so happy the first time I "ate" something other than soup and mashed potatoes. I love my WaterPik Flosser and Sonicare toothbrush. I look forward to my dental cleanings and have my rubberbands/powerchains removed and replaced before after cleaning. I wish I had thought of braces when I was younger but don't regret my late decision to wear them now. Good luck to you!

djspeece

#29 Post by djspeece »

I think each of us has a slightly different timeline for when we finally are at peace with the idea of braces, powerchains, and elastics. There are a few lucky ones who are thrilled from day one with their braces, fearlessly smiling and talking lisp-free, happy with the world. I hated those people :lol: . Well not really. For me it was a series of ego-deflating experiences for the first several months. I vividly recall driving home from the ortho after the braces were applied thinking "WTH did I just do?" because for me the main reason to get braces was to close a gap and remedy some bite issues, vs. cosmetic issues. The mouth pain, dry mouth, catching the checks on hooks, having a bracket pop off a crown while eating yogurt, and so forth. Oh and I thought I might be one of the lucky ones who wouldn't need elastics! HAHAHAHAHA! That's why the brackets have hooks, Dan! So my ortho casually mentioned one day about three months in that it was time to add elastics, 24/7, replaced after each meal. The fun part for everyone in the treatment room was when the tech instructed me to go over to the sink in full view of the teenaged patients to apply the elastics. They were flying off everywhere and I couldn't use my choice obscenities in front of the precious children who I am sure were laughing internally. The random, fleeting pains that were a part of the orthodontic experience. And so forth. Once I had to get numbed up for a treatment that involved TAD screws -- and afterwards was instructed to go over to the sink and gargle with this special antiseptic mouthwash. So as I went to swish it around, water and mouthwash went flying everywhere since I could not properly close my lips. I was soaking wet, too. Again in full view of everyone. Such are the charms of orthodontia.
This is not to scare you, but just a way of saying that braces are a hassle and once I learned to embrace that hassle, my life got a bit easier. I viewed it as sort of a test or a rite of passage. A passage to where, I don't know. You'll very gradually become more and more comfortable and accepting of your braces. Then you'll get a new wire or a powerchain or elastics and regress a bit, have more second guessing, and then you gradually come to accept the new situation. It does take time, so be gentle on yourself. If you have pain, I found ibuprofen to be the best approach (it specifically targets the chemicals that mediate dental pain). Also baby yourself a little -- you can lose the weight all in due course if things like ice cream make you feel better.
You can do this. We all have had second thoughts and doubts. We all have had problems with the braces. You'll get there. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Speck

#30 Post by Speck »

You, sir, have a great sense of humor. Thanks for the laughs!
-Andy