Help with puffy gums and braces

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rickrolled

Help with puffy gums and braces

#1 Post by Rickrolled »

Hi, I’m new to this forum and I’m still learning the ropes. I have had Damon braces for a little over two years and I believe I’m getting them off soon although I have a few issues.

After about a year of having braces, I noticed that I had puffy gums. My Othodonist didn’t really care so I got an opinion from my dentist who said I was cleaning very well and it was my body’s reaction. She gave me some special toothpaste to use nightly called Curacept? and she said after three months of using it that my gums are firming up although they are still puffy. I have tried everything from saltwater rinses to ecsessive flossing and nothing has helped them return to normal. I understand that they will hopefully go back to normal after I get them off but I am concerned about getting a retainer.

All of my friends have clear retainers and permanent ones on the bottom. I have a feeling that I won’t be able to get these since my gums will be puffy after I get them off for a while and the retainer won’t fit correctly once they receed. Is this likely to happen? Is there anything I can do? I prefer clear ones since I’ve heard you can speak better in them and they are clear so people can hardly see them. I do a bit of public speaking and getting through the first few months wearing them 24/7 may be difficult with a Hawley (wire acrylic) retainer. I am shy and self conscious.

I’m also speculating that I won’t be able to get a permanent retainer because my gums will probably puff up in the back like my braces.

I hope this is clear
Any feedback would be appreciated. 😀

kplatt2010

Re: Help with puffy gums and braces

#2 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There- do you use a Waterpik at all? I find that I can use the power brush and think I'm getting everything and then I pull out the Waterpik and hidden food debris comes out. The other advantage is the Waterpik massages your gums too. The only downside is that it is VERY LOUD.

Occasionally when I have fallen down on the Waterpik power-washing, I'll get a puffy gum. Once I'm back in full force and focus on the area, it starts shrinking back.

Rickrolled

#3 Post by Rickrolled »

Thanks for the reply, I don’t use a waterpik, I always thought they were a bit expensive. I’ll look into it though! It seems like they aren’t as irritating as floss as they may be useful post treatment.

Thanks again!

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

HI There-
Waterpiks are not that expensive ~$50 if you use a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% coupon. I think they're wonderful especially as I'm a non-flosser. I personally believe they are essential for anyone with braces. They have an orthodontic tip that is the bomb. Your gums will bleed a little if they are real puffy the first few times until they toughen up and shrink down.
download/file.php?mode=view&id=7261
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

charliee

#5 Post by charliee »

inter dental brushes worked for me, i found waterpik next to useless, was never sure if mine was faulty

Heidirs

#6 Post by Heidirs »

Out of curiosity, do you brush under your braces at the gum line? I had the problem with my gums receding, and when asked the ortho assistant about it, she said it was due to brushing under the braces. She said most people end up with puffy gums because they don't brush there. So, I'm just wondering if that's true.

Rickrolled

#7 Post by Rickrolled »

[quote=Heidirs post_id=504895 time=1538614578 user_id=29606]
Out of curiosity, do you brush under your braces at the gum line? I had the problem with my gums receding, and when asked the ortho assistant about it, she said it was due to brushing under the braces. She said most people end up with puffy gums because they don't brush there. So, I'm just wondering if that's true.
[/quote]

Yes, I use an electric toothbrush and I allow the bristles to clean between the brackets although the puffiness means that food can get trapped more easily around the gumline.

Rickrolled

#8 Post by Rickrolled »

Thanks for the help so far! I’m beginning to believe that my body is not cooperating and there is little I can do. Has anyone else been in the same boat? The puffiness really sneaks up on you

SCeles33

#9 Post by SCeles33 »

Waterpick definitely! Also if you decide to get one (highly recommended) I place mouthwash in the reservoir. I currently have some gingivitis and the pick really helps resolve it. I'm also looking at this on amazon. Not sure if it will help but well it's rated decently.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HV ... UTF8&psc=1

assertives

#10 Post by assertives »

I've read that it happens to some people, where the gums just doesn't like the proximity of the braces and react by swelling or overgrowing and may only resolve after the braces are gone. Perhaps you can consider getting the hawleys for the first couple of months until your gums return to normal and then get the impressions for the clear retainers after that.

bbsadmin

#11 Post by bbsadmin »

There's also a "waterpik" that attaches to your sink or shower:

https://www.dentakit.com/oralirrigators.html
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!