so i had a long talk with my ortho

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

wendydong

so i had a long talk with my ortho

#1 Post by wendydong »

so i had a long talk with my current ortho.

and he admitted that before i started braces, my left side was class II malocclusion, and my right side was actually class I malocclusion. (you may ask why i got braces in the first place, well, couple of my lower teeth always overlapped since i remember, and it always bothered me. My ex-dentist gave me a course of invisilign express, 10 trays, but never worked, overlapped teeth was still overlapped).

so after 5 months in braces, my left side has become class III, and my right side has become class II.

The reason he said is that i had a "constricted bite", and he has been de-constricting my bite....

these are my original teeth

https://imgur.com/a/ogV0D3P

did i have a "constricted bite"? on his notes, it was written down as "brodie bite", but when we talked, he explained to me as "constricted bite"

but actually, my bite never bothered me. It was totally fine. But after 5 months, my bite right now is just totally out of whack. He says that in a couple months, he would work on my bite by having me wear class II and class III elastics.

this is my teeth now.

https://imgur.com/a/yeOVjbA

I am just so frustrated that after 5 months of braces, my bite got so so so much worse, and forget about the bite, a lot of my teeth aren't even straight

wendydong

Re: so i had a long talk with my ortho

#2 Post by wendydong »

i did went to another ortho for opinion. The other ortho basically just said that she would fix some of my tilted inward teeth and slanted teeth first, and use elastics to correct my bite. she didn't really look at pictures before i got braces

i am going to another ortho for another opinion next week.

it's just so frustrating.

one of my friends said maybe i should just stop braces. She said that based on her experience (she had braces when she was in college), once she stopped wearing retainers, her teeth went back to before braces.

if i stop braces now, would my teeth go back to original? I look at my before picture these days, and wish to god that i can have that teeth back....

assertives

#3 Post by assertives »

What was your projected treatment time? 5 months is still early into treatment and bite corrections is the hardest and longest part of treatment. Maybe you should give it abit of time. Things does get worse before it gets better and progress is often not linear. I personally felt my bite being off pretty much the whole time I'm in braces. They would feel off then better then off again. I'm now 15 months into my treatment and woke up this morning feeling my bite off again just when I thought things have stabilised. I still have several teeth that are not straight too. I started off with a deep overbite and I have too felt my bite was "fine" in that 30 odd years I've lived with it.

If you removed your braces now, your teeth will move, but whether they will move back to their original positions, or how they will move no one can predict or control. They may end up just moving partway and settle and you could end up with a different bite than you started off with.

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

I’ve had my braces on for close to 18 months now, and it is only within the last 2-3 months that my bite feels “right” and comfortable.

I started with a mild underbite (edge-to-edge teeth) and a crossbite, and my bite was “fine” pre braces. As my teeth shifted and straightened, my bite changed, and at one point, I had an open bite!

Bite is the slowest (and probably most difficult) thing to correct in the braces process, so I would just be patient and give it some time. Teeth don’t always move in an obvious logical manner, and your overall bite and teeth may get worse before it gets better.

I would not advise on premature debanding, as your teeth may not return to their original configuration and may worsen things for you.
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

wendydong

#5 Post by wendydong »

Thank yall for your replies.

My projected treatment time is the standard 18 months.

My concern is that would the elastics and stainless steel wires move my teeth into a correct bite? I am almost 40.. not sure if my teeth or jaw bone would regenerate that much..

I guess I just have to be patient... Hard to be when I also started to deal to gum recession. I saw a periodontist today, and basically was told I will need gum graft after braces... I have about 3 teeth with class 3 recession? Basically, the tipping point when u start needing to do gum grafts...

Also, after 5 months in braces, some of my teeth become slanted...

Anyways just wanted to vent a little, or a lot. It's so frustrating

assertives

#6 Post by assertives »

I'm not very young myself too. I got braces at 35, and am now 36. The wires and elastics that my ortho has had me in have made alot of changes and improvements to my bite. It did take a while and I still have a 1/2 class 2 bite on my right side that he's trying to correct with elastics. That side has been a little stubborn so far, but my ortho thinks I should be on track to get debraced before Christmas.

The bone remodelling and regeneration happens daily throughout our lives to accommodate the daily wear and tear our bodies go through, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Heidirs

#7 Post by Heidirs »

I agree with what everyone has said. It takes time. 5 months is very short to call it quits. Sometimes things will get worse before they get better.

I can't tell from your pictures regarding your gums... are your roots exposed? I have recession, and when I asked my ortho about it, he said it was normal and my gums would bounce back once the braces were removed. The only worrying point is if my roots became exposed. I haven't been measured, so I don't know how receded they are. I just got my braces off today, and I think my gums look like to yours? No one has said anything about me needing any treatment for them. I got back in for a check up in 8 weeks, so maybe I'll ask. Gonna give it time first.

wendydong

#8 Post by wendydong »

thanks. My roots is exposed a tiny bit.... I went to periodontist, and they would take measurements for the gum recession on each tooth. They have a numbering system. so if your gum recession is 3 or higher, it's a candidate for gum graft. but obviously, since i am in braces, the perio thinks that i should just wait until after braces are off.