Cold Symptoms after Every Ortho Appt!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Cold Symptoms after Every Ortho Appt!

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

This is the strangest thing, and I just wonder if anyone else has ever experienced it or if I am the only one.

Every time I have an orthodontic adjustment, the night of and the day after, I feel like crap. Scratchy throat, cough, malaise, etc. Kinda like the first day of a cold. A couple of times, it has actually progressed to a full-blown cold, but more recently, I've had adjustments every 1-3 weeks since I am getting close to debracing, and ortho is doing tweaks. In these cases, it's just the mild cold-like symptoms the night of and day after my appointment.

I wash my hands frequently and use tons of hand sanitizer after my appointments, so I have no idea. My mom thinks it's germs in the air at the ortho's office from all the kids that are in there, but I have no idea. I am a very healthy person, so this is super strange.

Any ideas? Anyone else? I'm really glad I'm getting debraced soon so I can stop having these "appointment reactions" - whatever they are! :( :?

djspeece

Re: Cold Symptoms after Every Ortho Appt!

#2 Post by djspeece »

I think you might be allergic to the hand sanitizer :wink: . Just kidding, of course.
It could be that you are picking up airborne germs from the kids (or whomever), and it might be worthwhile mentioning it to your ortho in case the building supervisor has not be replacing air filters etc. in the ventilation system. I just find it odd that you have these symptoms of varying severity for every visit. Are your recent visits for tweaking shorter than your earlier visits? I ask because it may suggest that a shorter exposure results in milder symptoms, which to me points to something persistent in the office - such as the duct work and air filters.
You don't mention it, but do you get anxious about these appointments? Anything might suggest a connection to stress and a lowered immune response?
In any event, congratulations on nearing the finish line! Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

Isn't the incubation period for the cold bug (rhinovirus, typically) 24-72 hours? If so, maybe what you're experiencing is something other than a catarrh picked up whilst in the ortho's office?

Anyway, what a sucky thing to go through after every adjustment and I hope this latest event doesn't turn into a full-blown cold!
-Andy

kplatt2010

#4 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There-do they use Latex gloves for the exam and have you ever been tested for a Latex allergy??

Of note; I usually have gotten a stuffy nose (unilateral)a few days after an adjustment but I think that's because the correction somehow an impact on my still narrow nasal passages.

I know it's somewhat related because one adjustment I had the opposite effect. They put a rectangle wire and had me wear rubber band box configuration and could feel the nasal passages open up within hours of the adjustment. Unfortunately last few adjustments have been the opposite.

I'm wondering if your issue is a Latex sensitivity if the office uses Latex gloves. A lot of places have gone to Nitrile gloves because of Latex sensitivities/allergies.
Karla

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Interesting comments & questions, thanks folks!

I have never been tested for a Latex allergy, but I have been wearing latex elastics for months so don't think that is it. I am pretty sure the techs wear nitrile gloves (they are blue), because of so many folks having latex allergies. They offer elastics in either latex or non-latex. I tried the latter, but they are thicker and break really easily. Didn't like them nearly as much as the narrower latex elastics.

I have no idea about the ventilation system, but it's certainly a possibility. My appointments have all been about the same length, other than when I got braced. And yes, I do get a little stressed out/anxious every time I go, but I've never had stress-related cold symptoms before; for example, after a dentist or doctor's appointment. Hmmmm....

This one on Monday, I got a scratchy throat that night and have been coughing off and on ever since, especially last night (Tuesday). But I'm feeling better now, and the coughing has eased off.

I'm just glad I'm nearing the finish line, because I'm tired of feeling crappy after every adjustment. It's funny, because I always feel good mentally afterwards; excited to be moving forward. But physically, ugh.

I appreciate the feedback. I may just be a medical mystery! :-*

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

I'm with you Emily on the silicone rubber bands. That's what they have me doing right now and the issue is that the top braces are ceramic and the little buttons that hold the elastics are tiny. I sometimes have to go through a couple of elastics to find the right one that does not pop off. I have a bag of the latex ones at my office from previous round and have used them once or twice. My fear is maybe the silicone are stronger?? 'Karla

EmilyTravels

#7 Post by EmilyTravels »

kplatt2010 wrote: Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:04 pm I'm with you Emily on the silicone rubber bands. That's what they have me doing right now and the issue is that the top braces are ceramic and the little buttons that hold the elastics are tiny. I sometimes have to go through a couple of elastics to find the right one that does not pop off. I have a bag of the latex ones at my office from previous round and have used them once or twice. My fear is maybe the silicone are stronger?? 'Karla
I don't think so, Karla. They have the same inside diameter, according to the bags I have. I think they have to make them thicker because they are not as strong as the latex ones -- they have to be thicker to bring them up to the same strength. Since I have broken quite a few of them (many more than the latex ones), that says to me that they are less strong, if anything. If I were you and not allergic to latex, I'd stick with the latex. I'm not allergic, so I much prefer them, but my ortho's office ran out of the size I needed for awhile, so I was stuck with the non-latex (silicone, I guess). Now I'm back to latex and much happier! So much easier to hook on!

EntrancedBoar91

#8 Post by EntrancedBoar91 »

I know this may be a long shot but could it have to do with inflammation? My ortho told me the braces cause inflammation in the teeth/bones and that actually helps (or maybe causes) the movement. That's why ibuprofen can slow ortho treatment (it's anti-inflammatory medication). Maybe the inflammation is causing flu-like symptoms?

In any case, that sucks that you feel so unwell after every appointment. I hope your treatment progresses fast so you don't have to experience that any more! Take care.

EmilyTravels

#9 Post by EmilyTravels »

EntrancedBoar91 wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:57 pm I know this may be a long shot but could it have to do with inflammation? My ortho told me the braces cause inflammation in the teeth/bones and that actually helps (or maybe causes) the movement. That's why ibuprofen can slow ortho treatment (it's anti-inflammatory medication). Maybe the inflammation is causing flu-like symptoms?

In any case, that sucks that you feel so unwell after every appointment. I hope your treatment progresses fast so you don't have to experience that any more! Take care.
I guess it's possible. As good a theory as any!

Fortunately, I'm getting debraced either the end of this month or in October, so I won't have to endure these symptoms for too much longer. And they really aren't flu-like (no body aches, fevers, chills, etc.), just "cold-like" (scratchy throat, cough, etc.), thank the gods!