Protein shake

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

krystal7krystal7

Protein shake

#1 Post by krystal7krystal7 »

Hello !

Any recommendation for protein shakes ? To prevent losing weight because of braces
I have been making shakes with oat powder, milk and fruits for painful days
but it's not very convenient to make every morning especially when I'm late for school (actually i'm late almost everyday).
And Ensure is way too sweet & seems unhealthy.

EmilyTravels

Re: Protein shake

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

When I had my jaw wired shut after a bike accident, my husband made me a few delicious protein shakes. We used vanilla whey protein powder in each of these combos:

1. Dark chocolate almond milk + 2 T peanut butter + 1 scoop vanilla ice cream + protein powder. We didn't try this, but I am sure you could sub coconut oil for the peanut butter for a different flavor.

2. Vanilla Greek yogurt + any fruits (frozen blueberries, frozen mixed berries, frozen or fresh bananas are all good) + protein powder. Sometimes he'd add some fresh organic baby spinach to this one.

Whir in blender, drink and enjoy! I managed to keep my weight fairly steady by drinking two of these daily plus a heavy soup (like bean, whirred in the blender) for the third meal.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

One more idea, since it sounds like you are short on time. You can buy pre-made protein drinks in the produce section of your grocery store.

I found these to be delicious. Pricier than making them yourself in the blender, but great for those short on time:

https://www.bolthouse.com/products/beve ... tein-plus/

Gia

#4 Post by Gia »

Premier protein shake aren't bad, and not to sweet.

krystal7krystal7

#5 Post by krystal7krystal7 »

Thank you so much Emily !
I would try those flavors. Especially adding spinach.
May I know brand do you use for protein powder too ?
EmilyTravels wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 6:12 am When I had my jaw wired shut after a bike accident, my husband made me a few delicious protein shakes. We used vanilla whey protein powder in each of these combos:

1. Dark chocolate almond milk + 2 T peanut butter + 1 scoop vanilla ice cream + protein powder. We didn't try this, but I am sure you could sub coconut oil for the peanut butter for a different flavor.

2. Vanilla Greek yogurt + any fruits (frozen blueberries, frozen mixed berries, frozen or fresh bananas are all good) + protein powder. Sometimes he'd add some fresh organic baby spinach to this one.

Whir in blender, drink and enjoy! I managed to keep my weight fairly steady by drinking two of these daily plus a heavy soup (like bean, whirred in the blender) for the third meal.

EmilyTravels

#6 Post by EmilyTravels »

krystal7krystal7 wrote: Mon Sep 03, 2018 5:19 am Thank you so much Emily !
I would try those flavors. Especially adding spinach.
May I know brand do you use for protein powder too ?
Unfortunately, I can't remember. This was over a year ago when I had my jaw wired shut. We picked up a big container of protein powder at the drug store when we filled all my Rx's after oral surgery. I don't use these shakes now as I am fine with solid food with my braces. With these kind of milkshakes and smoothies, I'd think an unsweetened protein powder would be desirable (if you can even find one), since the other ingredients contain enough sugars. Hope you can find something!

Speck

#7 Post by Speck »

I like this product (chocolate flavor):
http://www.mgnstore.com/best-sellers/pu ... olate.html
I work out five days/week to stay fit for sporting activities and I like a pre-work-out protein shake, especially if it's been a few hours since I've had a meal and I might be running a caloric deficit.
-Andy

kplatt2010

#8 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi There- I am pre-diabetic and so I'm thoughtful with regards to sugar intake. I have been making a shake with Boost Chocolate Carb Control (high protein with I believe 4 gms sugar). Add one scoop of Chocolate Vega Total Protein shake powder, 1 Tbsp of Hershey's cocoa powder (sugar free), 2 - 3 packets of Truvia, and ice. Blend and thin slightly with water or milk and you have a chocolatey delicious milkshake. I like mine a little sweeter so adjust Truvia as needed; most folks would not need it that sweet :D

EmilyTravels

#9 Post by EmilyTravels »

Anyone limiting sugar should also consider using xylitol as a sweetener. I found a nice bag of granulated xylitol in a health food store, looks just like sugar and has no aftertaste. Xylitol is actually good for dental health (google it)! Just keep it away from your dog(s) if you have any; it is very dangerous for them, but not for us, fortunately. I actually mix a teaspoon or so into a small bottle of water to swish in my mouth after eating, when I remember.

Kplatt, that shake sounds delicious. Chocolate...mmmmmmm! :D