Metal or ceramic?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Gia

Metal or ceramic?

#1 Post by Gia »

Still considering treatment options. Invisalign is becoming less of an option and now considering braces. Have read the pros and construction of both. Leaning a bit toward metal. Interested in if you chose one, and now would choose the other, why?

Nozzelnut

Re: Metal or ceramic?

#2 Post by Nozzelnut »

If I had to do it all again; I go with stainless. They're lower profile, can have more pressure put on them, less prone to breakage/more durable, and less expensive.

After the first week and the shock of being in braces wears off; no one cares about your teeth but you.

You can still see the ceramics; just a little less.
Round 3 (lifetime) Damon stainless applied 3/16/20 (after 4 weeks attempting invisalign) On for about 18 months
Night time elastics with invisalign retainers; still...
Double jaw surgery was 6/18/15...
Orthodontics never really ends...
I'm emphatically against extraction orthodontics!

djspeece

#3 Post by djspeece »

I tend to agree with Nozzelnut. I had the ceramics, but they were not nearly as invisible as I had hoped and they are definitely more bulky (i.e., higher profile). They were quite durable, however, so no complaints there. Best of luck to you!
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

EmilyTravels

#4 Post by EmilyTravels »

If I had to do it again, I'd probably go with all metal. I have ceramic on the top six teeth for appearance sake, but with the thick wires he's had me in, they're still visible, and I have heard that they can be harder to remove (sometimes shatter and have to be taken off in pieces, which can be painful). Also, they don't seem to move teeth (at least mine!) as fast as the metal. Those teeth have been the slowest to move. Sometimes metal are less expensive as well.

Gia

#5 Post by Gia »

Thanks! Everything you've all said seems to confirm what I've been reading. I appreciate the feedback.

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hi I have to agree with the rest of the group in going all metal. I've got ceramic top and metal bottom. The disadvantage that I see specifically with ceramic is if you are a coffee or tea drinker =staining. Perhaps not as noticeable if you have not had braces for 2 1/2 years but I've had braces now for longer than expected... :(
Karla

Gia

#7 Post by Gia »

I'm at decision time. Met with ortho to review specifics of treatment plan. His preference is still Invisalign, but respects that I don't think it is the right option for me. I wish I did as he points out the less discomfort, less food restrictions, fewer visits, and essentially no emergencies, and of course aesthetics. After everything all have said I'm inclined to metal. I have until Monday to decide as the staff was gone when we finished going over everything, so I can't schedule appointment until then. All said I'm still really nervous about taking the plunge. He anticipates 12-16 months. My bite is good on resides/molars but very deep. The upper arch is pretty good but needs some tweaking/rounding. Lower need to be aligned and upper and lower incisors need to be intruded.

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

Gia, did you ever consult with an orthodontist who specializes in traditional braces instead of Invisalign? Just curious, since it seems like this one is really married to Invisalign, so that makes me wonder if he will do as good a job with traditional braces. If he is a board-certified ortho (I can't recall), he probably will, but he is obviously very biased towards Invisalign, so I hope that doesn't affect your treatment in any way.

Gia

#9 Post by Gia »

Thanks Emily. He is board certified. He is on the faculty at the dental school and chief of ortho at one of the hospitals. Didn't even know hospitals had ortho. All the providers were Invisalign providers. This one platinum, one of the others as well, and the third whatever the next designation down is. I didn't see a third. Maybe it's the area I'm in. They don't even charge more for Invisalign interestingly, because u wondered if economics was a factor - more $$$ and less patient time etc. I doubt he would have discounted me as much for the Invisalign. He's doing it for 55% less than the standard fee, related to anticipating it will be 12-16 months not 24-30, and my having been a patient before (30 years ago). It's a third less than his reduced fee for 12 months normally, and he'll take 25% off the additional cost for ceramics if I choose them. I didn't even ask about the discount other than he had said he would deduct the cost of the trial Essix he made. He doesn't do a lot of braces on adults. It's about 40% of the practice, but only braces 10 to 20%. Your point is interesting and one I didn't think of. He seems experienced, but maybe I need to consider.

I hope your next few weeks are really productive, and would love to hear about your "braceless" adventures!

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

He sounds like he knows his stuff. It's just interesting to me how much he seems to be pushing Invisalign. My ortho (also board-certified) has signs up in his waiting room for Invisalign, but I have never seen anyone in the waiting room with anything other than ceramic or metal braces, and he didn't even mention Invisalign to me. Not to surprising since my occlusion/bite was my primary issue. I didn't think Invisalign would work for me anyway, with my lifestyle (long bike rides where I need to be able to eat and drink liquids other than water), so just as well.

His estimate for me was pretty optimistic, though, and I think part of that is that he also mostly works on kids. His initial estimate was 8-10 months, but the payment schedule was over 12 months, so I guess that was a fail-safe. Now I'm at 12.5 months, and it may even be October before I get them off, at this rate. I have an adjustment tomorrow, so hopefully then I'll have a de-brace date. I do like my ortho, but he is not very communicative, so I have to really ask questions and push him sometimes. I am curious how long he'd keep me in braces if I weren't about to move (Nov. 1st). At least I do appreciate that he didn't pull them off the day after I'd paid in full -- that shows some integrity. :D

Gia

#11 Post by Gia »

It's amazing, the variability among providers and practices. Makes you wonder. I don't think I'll do well without communication, so I hope he continues to tolerate my many questions and review of all the literature I can read. I still approach things like a graduate student 😂
I agree, adult movement seems so much less predictable. I'm a little nervous about the intrusion. He did address all my questions/concerns about the discrepancy consult in a way that I was satisfied with. Good luck at your next visit!
After the feedback from folks on this site, I'm pretty sure I'm going with the metal. Now I just want to get started asap.

bracesage42

#12 Post by bracesage42 »

I have ceramic on top and metal on bottom. Would do the same regardless I think.

charliee

#13 Post by charliee »

i hated invisalign type products and they did a bad job, I used incognito, but if I had to do it again I would use metal damon style braces, they are small and self lignating so no rubber donuts.