Gum pulling away from second lower molar with pus

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AngelCatMei

Gum pulling away from second lower molar with pus

#1 Post by AngelCatMei »

My gum at the back of my mouth, second lower molar, have feeling weird lately.

Sometimes when I push against the back gum, there will be pus coming out. I did consult my dentist 2 days ago, she told me there is indeed little pus coming out from the gum line and she thought it was due to wisdom tooth but I reminded her that I already have wisdom tooth surgery years ago therefore she reassure me that it will be fine. Just keep brushing.

But here I am wondering is it due to gum issues or perhaps it is due to another rare case of having another wosdom tooth? It is scary when I pulled the gum back, it will actually pulled away from my tooth and there seems to be gum pocket while the other side gum seems firm

djspeece

Re: Gum pulling away from second lower molar with pus

#2 Post by djspeece »

I can tell you that pus is not normal regardless and usually indicates an infection, and I would be concerned that you are developing an abscess. I'm not sure of the connection with a wisdom tooth, as if it is normal to have pus with a wisdom tooth.
Now, what you are calling pus may not actually be pus. What is the color and consistency of it? Another sort of discharge is more watery and pale yellow, and is called serosanguinous and can be associated with normal healing processes. But, it you are have actual purulent "pus" drainage, it is not normal. Best of luck to you.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

kplatt2010

#3 Post by kplatt2010 »

I'm wondering why dentist did not take an x-ray?? You should follow-up with someone else; perhaps the oral surgeon who took out the wisdom tooth? It sounds like it's been a while but that's not normal. If you start developing a fever and have a lot of pain; those would definitely be signs of something brewing.

AngelCatMei

#4 Post by AngelCatMei »

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=504310 time=1535668878 user_id=32146]
I'm wondering why dentist did not take an x-ray?? You should follow-up with someone else; perhaps the oral surgeon who took out the wisdom tooth? It sounds like it's been a while but that's not normal. If you start developing a fever and have a lot of pain; those would definitely be signs of something brewing.
[/quote]

I took out my wisdom tooth 5 years ago. Actually, my second lower molar is semi wrapped by my gum before all these happened. Today, when I check my tooth in the mirror, the gum that was once wrapping the tooth is gone and my tooth is fully erupted which once was not.

There isn't any pus anymore as well.

AngelCatMei

#5 Post by AngelCatMei »

[quote=djspeece post_id=504297 time=1535630030 user_id=20342]
I can tell you that pus is not normal regardless and usually indicates an infection, and I would be concerned that you are developing an abscess. I'm not sure of the connection with a wisdom tooth, as if it is normal to have pus with a wisdom tooth.
Now, what you are calling pus may not actually be pus. What is the color and consistency of it? Another sort of discharge is more watery and pale yellow, and is called serosanguinous and can be associated with normal healing processes. But, it you are have actual purulent "pus" drainage, it is not normal. Best of luck to you.
[/quote]

Yes!! It was a watery pale yellow colour. Anyway, my once not fully erupted second lower molar are now fully erupted. Could this be the causes of it? I have been suspecting an extra wisdom tooth.

I will definitely bring this up to my Ortho/dentist during my next appointment.

kplatt2010

#6 Post by kplatt2010 »

Hey There- sounds like you may have some serious periodontal disease going on with receding gums as a symptom. Sometimes the causal factor is because of too vigorous brushing and / or a combo effect of a bacterial infection that is resulting in the gums receding. It's kind of a which came first the chicken or the egg scenario. In any case; you might benefit from a consultation with an endodontist who specialize in gum disease. It might be a simple case of close follow-up and changing up your mouth care routine or a more complex procedure such as gum grafting. You won't know though until you see someone who specializes in this field. If you're not feeling super confident about your dentist, get a recommendation of a good endodontist. You can find top dentist / doctor names through numerous sources (i.e. Consumer Checkbook, area magazines - we have Washingtonian , Baltimore Magazine, or even yelp).

AngelCatMei

#7 Post by AngelCatMei »

[quote=kplatt2010 post_id=504354 time=1535887464 user_id=32146]
Hey There- sounds like you may have some serious periodontal disease going on with receding gums as a symptom. Sometimes the causal factor is because of too vigorous brushing and / or a combo effect of a bacterial infection that is resulting in the gums receding. It's kind of a which came first the chicken or the egg scenario. In any case; you might benefit from a consultation with an endodontist who specialize in gum disease. It might be a simple case of close follow-up and changing up your mouth care routine or a more complex procedure such as gum grafting. You won't know though until you see someone who specializes in this field. If you're not feeling super confident about your dentist, get a recommendation of a good endodontist. You can find top dentist / doctor names through numerous sources (i.e. Consumer Checkbook, area magazines - we have Washingtonian , Baltimore Magazine, or even yelp).
[/quote]

Hey, thanks for replying. As the dental consultation here in Singapore is extremely expensive, I will most probably wait till my next Ortho appointment as she won't be charging any fee during adjustment and I will definitely ask my dentist to take an x-ray and ask her for solution. She usually will just brush me off whenever I ask some questions because she think that I am being paranoid.

It's just that I don't understand why am I getting periodontal disease when I am flossing, brushing daily and using waterpik too. I make sure to rinse my mouth after every meal/snack too. It is just frustrating.

kplatt2010

#8 Post by kplatt2010 »

Did not realize you were in Singapore. The ortho should be able to do some x-ray imaging too. Perhaps too someone (dentist, orthodontist, or even primary care physician) could prescribe Peredex. This is a chlorahexadine based product that is used to treat moderate to severe gum disease and was prescribed to my husband at one time, when he was having issues. I believe it's prescription only here in the US.

djspeece

#9 Post by djspeece »

AngelCatMei wrote: Sun Sep 02, 2018 3:56 am
djspeece wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 4:53 am I can tell you that pus is not normal regardless and usually indicates an infection, and I would be concerned that you are developing an abscess. I'm not sure of the connection with a wisdom tooth, as if it is normal to have pus with a wisdom tooth.
Yes!! It was a watery pale yellow colour. Anyway, my once not fully erupted second lower molar are now fully erupted. Could this be the causes of it? I have been suspecting an extra wisdom tooth.

I will definitely bring this up to my Ortho/dentist during my next appointment.
It is completely normal in healing tissues. You'll even notice it on the pad of a bandaid with wound that is fairly fresh.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

AngelCatMei

#10 Post by AngelCatMei »

I just went to another dentiat at our health-care center. I mentioned it to her is it possible that it could be another wisdom tooth coming out and she said is those kind of cases are rare.

She measured my gum pocket and she said it is not deep and she don't see any pus too. She told me that this kind of issues is usually common as most people here have their second molar semi not erupted. It is called gum pocket and everyone have one, it is just how deep it is. For mine is a case of inflammation therefore she injected some medicine (something like mouthwash) into my gum pocket and told me I will be fine as long as I keep it clean. The most important thing is keep the food out of the pocket.

I will continue using waterpik and mouthwash. Hopefully it will resolve soon as seeing gum pulling away from tooth when I pull my gum away is indeed a scary thing. I'm glad I found this dentist as she is very attentive and she listen to my concern well.

Thank you everyone for your concern and replies! Definitely appreciate it.