first week want to quit (receding jaw)

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

crybabyquittingqueen

first week want to quit (receding jaw)

#1 Post by crybabyquittingqueen »

Braces on: Aug 9 (5 days ago)

Reason to wear braces:
-better facial aesthetic.
-Improve what I currently have: Retrognathic facial type and a Convex facial profile (receding jaw, short chin)

Not concerned:
-Straighten teeth (teeth fairly straight, lower teeth not noticable crowded)
-bite is ok
-no TMJ

Reasons want to quit:
-already notice face sunken in the centre
-deeper smile line
-cheek bone appear to be super high
-looks like I've aged a lot

-can't close mouth
-mouth open during sleep
-bad sleep quality, tired and depressed all day

-worry about loose teeth when I get old... please tell me guys if this is a possible side effect.

Jaw surgery:
My orthodontist originally suggested jaw surgery, I was open to it and consulted the oral surgen referred, coz I had enough of my receding jaw, weak profile, double chin. If I go with the surgical option, orthodontist will remove two of my primolar in my lower teeth. Now I realized I can't even handle braces, let alone such a major surgery, so I've decided to go with non-surgical option, in which no teeth extraction needed for orthodontic treatment. I know chin implant is a less invasive option, and I do plan to do it in Japan (I'm asian) after my braces.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My diagnose:
Extra-oral findings:
 Class II skeletal relationship
 Retrognathic facial type and a Convex facial profile
 Long lower face height and a high mandibular plane angle
 Lower lip is caught in overjet
 History of bilateral temporomandibular joint clicking
Intra-oral findings:
 Suspect missing tooth #1.6 with drift of tooth #1.7
 Class II subdivision left molar and canine malocclusion
 Mild upper and moderate lower dental arch crowding
 Overjet of 5mm and Overbite of 60-70%
 Tapered maxillary arch form and uncoordinated arches
 Upper midline discrepancy of 3mm to the right of the facial midline. Lower midline on
 Deep curve of spee
 Good oral hygiene
 Mild generalized abrasion

assertives

Re: first week want to quit (receding jaw)

#2 Post by assertives »

If you started out with protrusion, it is quite expected that you'll find it difficult to close your mouth when you first get braced. But that should improve once your teeth start moving. I personally saw obvious changes pretty much by the 2nd week of being in braces. Once your mouth gets used to the new braces, the sleep quality and all should improve too. I can't comment on the loose teeth in old age as a side effect. I've not read anything about loose teeth and an effect of braces in old age. Perhaps ask your ortho about it?

Focus on the end goal and the reasons you are getting braces for. Hang in there, it's only been 5 days. It really does gets better.