Question on elastics location

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Speck

Question on elastics location

#1 Post by Speck »

It's been 1.5 months since treatment started and I have yet to feel any discomfort from elastics. Good, right?
Couple o' pics of the anchor points to which metal buttons are affixed (blue semi-circles):
Right perspective.jpg
Left perspective.jpg
Looks to me as though the force exerted by the elastics is minimal and I wonder if they're doing anything? What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Andy

assertives

Re: Question on elastics location

#2 Post by assertives »

I think apart from position of the elastics, the strength of the elastics that was prescribed to you would make a difference in whether you can feel the tension. I'm assuming since you are only in the first month of your treatment, perhaps your ortho started you out with an elastic with a lighter force?

I also suspect that not everyone feels the elastics. I personally did not experience any pain, only tension, but I've seen the most amount of movement since getting elastics than any other phase of my treatment so far, and I had the medium heavy ones. Anyway, if you are concerned, do bring this up with your ortho at your next appointment.

Speck

#3 Post by Speck »

Thank you for the response! Extra-heavy 4mm elastics have been indicated and I can feel pull when opening my mouth but, aside from sensing that small measure of tension, no pain and/or associated discomfort.

And yes, the question about elastics is among a relatively short list of discussion topics for the next office visit with the ortho. :)
-Andy

AndAndAnd

#4 Post by AndAndAnd »

I too have recently begun wearing elastics. The tension on mine is very light. I am guessing, as assertives says, it is a way of getting acclimatized to them. I can only feel the tension when initially being attached after which I can't feel anything much. No pain for me either. At present, it is hard to say whether they are actually doing anything, though time will tell.

Speck

#5 Post by Speck »

Interesting, yeah, going on two months and, though I can feel tension exerted by them, I have no pain nor see obvious changes to teeth/bite as a result of wearing elastics; and the elastics are of the super-heavy 4mm variety. So, I remain dubious.

Thanks for your comments!
-Andy