Bends in wire and elastics!

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ReaJT

Bends in wire and elastics!

#1 Post by ReaJT »

Hello everyone! Hope you are all well!

So yesteday I progressed on to the next step of my braces journey. The ortho put some bends in the wire and also gave me elastics to wear at night.

I’m struggling to understand the way the bends will work tho and wondered if anyone could explain them? As you can see in the picture there are bends either side of both front teeth. The one I have arrowed needs to come back, or maybe the other one needs to come forward but I don’t see how these bends will achieve this. If anyone could explain I would really appreciate it :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

EmilyTravels

Re: Bends in wire and elastics!

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

I found something online awhile ago (sorry, can't provide a link) that said that your teeth will move in the direction of the bends in the wire. So, if a bend points down, they are trying to extrude that tooth; bend up, intrude the tooth. If the bends are in or out, they are trying to move that tooth in, out, or rotate it in its spot.

I have all manner of bends in my wires now (up down out in) as I am in the "finishing" stage before getting my braces off, apparently, and the ortho is trying to effect small changes in my tooth positions.

I hope this helps a little -- I may not have done a great job explaining!

charliee

Re: Bends in wire and elastics!

#3 Post by charliee »

I suspect its a finishing wire - just to hold your teeth for a while before removal