Can a retainer fix a posterior open bite?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

chrisby18951

Can a retainer fix a posterior open bite?

#1 Post by chrisby18951 »

I have had braces on my lower teeth since December, 2015 and upper teeth since February 2016. I had upper jaw surgery (SARPE) in February 2016 and lower (BSSO) in February 2018. I still have a posterior open bite that is enough of an issue to cause problems chewing some foods (things like spaghetti, salad, etc) as only my back molars and frontal teeth touch. My orthodontist wants to debrace me as soon as we close a small gap in my two front teeth (from SARPE) and says that the retainer should close the open bite. We are trying elastics which seem to be helping but I just wanted to see if anyone here had this type of situation and if so, how it worked out.

XX50XX

Re: Can a retainer fix a posterior open bite?

#2 Post by XX50XX »

Depending on your age, I would be skeptical. If you're young and still have some growth in you, it's possible that could work. If you're finished growing, I'm not convinced it would. In my early 20s, an ortho tried that with me with an anterior repositioning splint and filing down spaces between my molars to see if they would erupt further. It didn't work.

chrisby18951

#3 Post by chrisby18951 »

I will be 47 in October, so far from young........

XX50XX

#4 Post by XX50XX »

I'm not a doc, so could be 100% wrong. Maybe he's thinking the retainer will help settle your bite. You might be able to ask a doc online. There are some websites where docs and lawyers answer your questions for a small fee - like $5.

bbsadmin

#5 Post by bbsadmin »

I'm not a dentist either, but from my own experience, I think you should see how much progress you make with the elastics. I had an anterior open bite (did not have surgery) and the elastics really made a huge difference in closing the bite.
I'm the owner/admin of this site. Had ceramic uppers, metal lowers ~3 years in my early 40's. Now in Hawley retainers at night!

chrisby18951

#6 Post by chrisby18951 »

Thanks so much! I am wearing my elastics and they do seem to be helping. But, I had to sort of ask for them this last time. He was just making it sound like once we tightened the gap from SARPE that he would debrace me and let the retainer finish. It seems odd because when we started the process we had August 2018 as the final payment, hoping he isnt just getting rid of me! I will admit that I have broken a lot of brackets over the time (mainly due to my overjet and upper teeth hitting the lower incisors, and I have offered to pay for the repairs). I just want the best job possible, even if it takes longer or even costs more.

XX50XX

#7 Post by XX50XX »

I don't blame you Chrissie, I would want that, too. I'm wondering if the ortho I consulted with yesterday doesn't want me as a patient. He still hasn't provided an estimate. I had to call the office to see if he'd written it up yet and so far, he hasn't. :Questions:

tested

#8 Post by tested »

Hey Chrisby, I was wondering if your open bite closed. I just had my braces removed a few days ago and non of my back molars touch when I bite. Ortho said the same thing, it should settle over time but this doesn't make sense to me at all. I had elastics and they helped a lot, I had most of my molars touched but as soon as my braces came off, I had the open bite again.