What is this?

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Braceyourself666

What is this?

#1 Post by Braceyourself666 »

Hi everyone
So I m coming up to 3 weeks of top braces
I have been researching everything about what each part of the brace is and what it does
But this little guy, right at the front.. The little cylinder shape thing... I can't figure out what it is. I am assuming its to stop the tooth it's up against from moving.. Which made me think it was a stopper.. But then some pictures said it was a band and then I just thought.. Hey I will ask the guys on the forum because google is not helping 😂😂

EmilyTravels

Re: What is this?

#2 Post by EmilyTravels »

Someone might have a better explanation than me, but my understanding is that it is a "stop". It keeps the wire from moving too far in either direction between teeth as your teeth shift. I have almost always had one between my two lower central incisors but not on top. I'm not sure how the ortho determines where and when one is needed, though.

pcspinheiro

#3 Post by pcspinheiro »

Yes, I would agree with EmilyTravels, looks like a stop. Do you have a midline discrepancy? Since it's so close to one of the brackets I would say it's there to unravel your crowding at the cost of unilateral expansion, thus avoiding or minimizing further shift in your dental midline.

Braceyourself666

#4 Post by Braceyourself666 »

Thanks for your replies
Yep, pretty much confirms what I thought about it being a stop of some description.
I think the idea is to use the space from an old extraction a few teeth along.

charliee

#5 Post by charliee »

yes its just a stop to help control the wire movement