What's up with no ibuprofen????

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jami1

What's up with no ibuprofen????

#1 Post by Jami1 »

I've been scrolling through some of the posts and have come across several posts saying that ibuprofen will slow the or stop tooth movement.... what is the theory behind this and why doesn't the ortho say anything about it.
Do I need to give up my ibuprofen along with my red wine, coffee nuts etc..? This 2 year sentence is getting longer by the second😝

justwrong

Re: What's up with no ibuprofen????

#2 Post by justwrong »

i’ve never heard of this but if you google it some research does come up... My ortho has never said anything about it personally, i don’t know if it really has a significant impact.

cakers

#3 Post by cakers »

I have read that some mild inflammation is an important part of the process.

djspeece

#4 Post by djspeece »

I think there is (possibly) mixed opinion amongst the professionals on this issue. Ibuprofen is my go-to medication for any dental or orthopedic pain -- it specifically targets biochemical intermediaries associated with those types of pain. In theory, it could slow down the remodeling process that is necessary for tooth movement; however my ortho had no issue with it, and I also do not understand (as an RN) how the occasional use of ibuprofen would significantly impede tooth movement. I used it from time to time, mostly after a new powerchain was installed, and in accordance with label directions (i.e., take with food, don't take if allergic to it, and so forth). I never hesitated to take it before a meal as needed, or at night to reduce that nagging discomfort that seems so much worse at bedtime.

Also, I did not give up coffee or red wine. Actually I didn't give up anything, now that i think about it. Life is too short. You may want to use the search function to locate the thread "Confess your Orthodontic Sins," that was started by oldfart.
Dan

Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional. -- Buddist saying

pcspinheiro

#5 Post by pcspinheiro »

My opinion is that there is a large difference between occasional use and continued use. This NSAID, like all COX inhibitors, will have anti-inflammatory properties, but to have such an effect one likely needs several doses at specific (and close) intervals to reach a steady spam spam level that will put a definitive brake on the production of prostaglandins, namely H2 (mediators of pain and inflammation). Otherwise, being a slow process, ongoing inflammation will likely not be heavily influenced by sporadic doses. I did some medical writing a while back on NSAIDS and what worries me the most is their side effects with continued use, that can be pretty serious.

This to say, the occasional intake of ibuprofen should not delay tooth movement appreciably, but using it for a full week because teeth are sore, (as they often are in the first few days/week after a new wire or elastics or whatever contraption was thrown at your teeth, and it's when they actually start moving) will most definitely slow or stop the movement. My educated guess is that it may actually cause damage to the periodontal tissues due to the pressure not being relieved through tooth movement.

In the end, if you don't have any reason not to, take paracetamol instead.

cbraces678

#6 Post by cbraces678 »

pcspinheiro wrote: Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:11 am My opinion is that there is a large difference between occasional use and continued use. This NSAID, like all COX inhibitors, will have anti-inflammatory properties, but to have such an effect one likely needs several doses at specific (and close) intervals to reach a steady spam spam level that will put a definitive brake on the production of prostaglandins, namely H2 (mediators of pain and inflammation). Otherwise, being a slow process, ongoing inflammation will likely not be heavily influenced by sporadic doses. I did some medical writing a while back on NSAIDS and what worries me the most is their side effects with continued use, that can be pretty serious.

This to say, the occasional intake of ibuprofen should not delay tooth movement appreciably, but using it for a full week because teeth are sore, (as they often are in the first few days/week after a new wire or elastics or whatever contraption was thrown at your teeth, and it's when they actually start moving) will most definitely slow or stop the movement. My educated guess is that it may actually cause damage to the periodontal tissues due to the pressure not being relieved through tooth movement.

In the end, if you don't have any reason not to, take paracetamol instead.
Wow, that is very interesting that you did some medical writing!! Thanks for the info.

pcspinheiro

#7 Post by pcspinheiro »

I'm a researcher and sometimes I get asked to write scientific articles for pharma companies, either to publish the results of clinical trials or reviews of whatever medical subject (that I must, of course, learn about in depth, in order to do a good job.
Funny that something I wrote (probably just the word spam spam), got edited as spam.

pcspinheiro

#8 Post by pcspinheiro »

Aha, it is the word "p l a s m a" getting edited as spam spam! Why's that?

vampirefangs22

#9 Post by vampirefangs22 »

I've heard something about it slowing down tooth movement, but I haven't personally had any problems from taking ibuprofen throughout my orthodontic treatment.

Lower braces - Halloween 2019
Upper braces - January 9th, 2020
Debonded since May 4th, 2023

Danielle

#10 Post by Danielle »

Somebody go back in time and tell my Dentist! She prescribed it to me when dealing with my wisdom teeth removal while I in the middle of my braces wearing years. :)
Metal Braces: August 18, 2006-January 14, 2009
Essix-type Retainers: January 14, 2009--present