Bends in my Wires

This is the place to post general questions and comments about all areas of orthodontic treatment. Before you post a question, use the forum's SEARCH tool to see if your question has already been answered!

New Members: YOU MUST MAKE A POST WITHIN 24 HOURS OF REGISTERING OR YOUR ACCOUNT WILL BE DELETED. In other words, don't sign up unless you plan to actively participate in the message board immediately. This is necessary to keep out spammers and lurkers with bad intentions. Of course, you can read most forums on the board without registering.

DO NOT POST FULL-FACE PHOTOS or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

EmilyTravels

Bends in my Wires

#1 Post by EmilyTravels »

Hi all,

For the first time, today my orthodontist put lots of little bends in both my upper and lower wires. I wasn't able to ask him about the purpose of all the bends because he was super busy today putting braces on several kids in other chairs in the lineup. All he told me was that "these are going to feel really tight". And OWIE, they sure do! It took the tech quite awhile to get the wires in and engaged in all my brackets, and my teeth/gums are throbbing right now, a couple hours later.

What is the purpose of all these little bends in the wires? I am assuming they are to do the final leveling and rotating of teeth, as I am "supposed" to get my braces off around the end of August, and my most recent appointments have been three weeks apart instead of the usual 5-6 weeks.

I'm curious, if you had these bends added to your wires, how close to the end of your braces timeframe was it for you?

He also put me back on Class 2 elastics (heavy). UGH! I had been without them for the last six weeks, and I could tell my bite was not as good as it was when I first got them off, though it hadn't regressed nearly as much as I feared it might.

Bring on the ibuprofen!

pcspinheiro

Re: Bends in my Wires

#2 Post by pcspinheiro »

First of, don't take Ibuprofen while on braces. Teeth move at the cost of the information caused by the forces applied to them, so that would slow or stop them.

Are these bends lateral or vertical? I'm sure they are just to finely correct tooth positions. Brackets aren't always glued perfectly and teeth don't have perfectly flat suraces either, so they may align to the arch wire but be misaligned with the dental arch.

EmilyTravels

#3 Post by EmilyTravels »

pcspinheiro wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm First of, don't take Ibuprofen while on braces. Teeth move at the cost of the information caused by the forces applied to them, so that would slow or stop them.
Yes, I know. I only take it the day of the adjustment, when my teeth are at peak soreness. Never after that. They are sore this morning, but I am toughing it out. Interestingly, my ortho's office doesn't wanrn against this -- they say "take whatever you take for a headache". But I'd read about ibuprofen slowing or stopping movement on this board so haven't used it other than the day of an adjustment.
pcspinheiro wrote: Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:45 pm Are these bends lateral or vertical? I'm sure they are just to finely correct tooth positions. Brackets aren't always glued perfectly and teeth don't have perfectly flat suraces either, so they may align to the arch wire but be misaligned with the dental arch.
They are both lateral and vertical bends.

Mpkh

#4 Post by Mpkh »

It’s for teeth movement that can’t be done with elastics and a straight archwire alone. The fine tuning stuff. I’ve had bends placed into my wires ever since I got placed into my “finishing wires” in January...my braces should be coming off “soon” per the tech at my last appointment, but I have no idea when “soon” is
Braced: April 07, 2017
Debraced: February 08, 2019
Sentence: 18-24 months
Actual time in braces: 22 months and 1 day
Reason: Straighten teeth, correct crossbite and edge-to-edge bite

http://myjourneyandlifewithbraces.blogspot.ca

EmilyTravels

#5 Post by EmilyTravels »

Mpkh wrote: Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:18 am It’s for teeth movement that can’t be done with elastics and a straight archwire alone. The fine tuning stuff. I’ve had bends placed into my wires ever since I got placed into my “finishing wires” in January...my braces should be coming off “soon” per the tech at my last appointment, but I have no idea when “soon” is
Woah...finishing wires since January!!?? :shock: :shock:

Mine are "supposed" to come off in late August, but we'll see. I have already seen a little movement since yesterday with these crazy bent wires, so that's good, though I am back to being unable to eat much of anything except mush. :x :x :x